Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My parents still send me a nice check for my birthday. So with $100 from them and a little more than that from my paycheck I headed off to the Big Town gun show.

As usual most of what I saw was overpriced. $300+ for standard commercial Makarovs. Nagant revolvers for $250+. Mosins were the most reasonably priced with M91/30s averaging about $115. There were some plain jane M44s close to $300. But I kept looking.

Saw a rack with a few old guns. Had a 1946 M44 for $95 and a M91/30 for $115. I noticed the M91/30 had a 2-piece stock. It is a Tikka! 1943. The metal is in very good condition with almost all the blue. The bore is strong and bright. There is a drop on the receiver that partially covers the imperial eagle that has the blue gone. It has stacked blade front sight. Bolt and receiver numbers match, none on floorplate. The buttplate has 3 non-matching numbers. The bolt looks unused, but it has both Izhevsk and Tula marked parts (bow and arrow-hammer in circle). The stock has been varnished, but is in great shape. Lots of bumps and dings, but structually sound. On top of the butt is a carved or stamped "W". on the left side is a carved "A". On the right is the original Soviet stamp and an "AW" carved and an "M" with what looks like a "V" under it both carved. It came with skinnier than normal sling (No SA markes) and dog collars. The bottom dog collar was tied together with twine which broke as I was carrying it away. Bought a new sling at the next table for $10.
It has a Tula 1897 receiver. "3500" is stamped on the side of the barrel shank.

(posted this in 2 parts. was interrupted.)

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Ron,

I am beginning to think, after all the examples that I've seen, that the 1943 dated rifles weren't SA marked. Also, if you compare the difference between 43 and 44 dated rifles, you can see the placement of the Tikka factory marking is different. On 43 dated rifles, they are placed higher on the barrel, closer to the rear sight. On 44 dated barrels, the SA marking is place there, and then the Tikka marking is placed a lot closer to the SN. Just some observations that I've had.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Congratulations Ron.

Sean, where have you been? http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130F.htm

To clarify, the 1943 Tikkas are typically SA marked at the left woodline, but I understood you to mean that they're not makred on top as if it's part of the regular arsenal marks.

Notice that the 1944s usually have the "T" after the SA mark also. I seem to recall seeing at least one 1943, presumably a late one, with the mark in the 1944 style, "T" and all.

·
Gold Bullet member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I wasn't through seeing the show. As I walked along a dealer asked me a question about the gun. He was really just trying to get my attention. He said I got 2 like that out in my car. I will sell the pair to you for $100.

It would be hard to buy Mosins that aren't worth $50 each, so I agreed. His son took me to the car and this is what I found, a pair of Chilean Mausers model 1895. I took them straight to my car so I didn't notice that one was long and one was short. They both look to be in decent shape. The long gun is all matching, the carbine not. Can't tell about the bores till I clean them. They are either dirty or full of cosmo. The long gun has some surface (I hope) rust on the trigger guard. I don't really need Mausers so I will keep them for trades. I think these are antique. Guess I will ask about that on a Mauser board.

After I got back to the show I only had $27 left so I thought I was safe. Then I came to a guy who had a M91 on his table. Picked it up and it was an 1895 Tula, SA marked. Has the eagle on barrel, not on receiver. Stock looks like walnut Russian 1-piece. He wanted $200 and would take a check. So here are some pics of it. No sling, but has cleaning rod. SA marked and has a circle-K on right of barrel shank. It has a new serial number just below the old one, "113". In Drie Linien 2 there is a pic of a similar one where the number below is a "48". KH says that is possible Albanian? (Happens to be my gun pictured in the book.) The bolt matches and appears to be original numbers. Floorplate and buttplate don't match.

Interesting thing with the M91. There is a 1 stamped on the right of receiver, a 2 on the barrel in front of the rear sight, 3 on the rear edge of the sight, 4 on the front curve of the sight, a 5 on the inside right of the sight, 7 close to the screw, 8 on the inside left. Can't find the 6. Was this assembly by the numbers?

Not a bad haul. Now I am broke for another week with $27 left to spend for the weekend.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Ron, that was a really nice rifle found at a great price. Gun shows are still worth going to as with some hunting you can still find some nice deals like you just did.

·
Gold Bullet member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What else could you possibly need this weekend?
Was really looking for 1941 Tula M91/30, 1945 M38, Polish TT-33, Chinese military Makarov to fill a couple of holes in my collection. I could have used one of those. Not complaining about what I got. Not finding the others means I have a reason (excuse) to keep going to gun shows.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
Doesn't sound dangerous for your budget, just a slight impediment on your immediate cash flow.

Sell the mausers and the Mosins are free.

regards
badger

·
Registered
378 Posts
I know what you mean about the danger of gunshows. I went to one today and walked out with a mosin and another tin of ammo. And i wanted to get one of the m39's and a tula ex-sniper i saw, but i talked myself out of it.

The mosin i got was a 1928 updated dragoon though. As soon as i de-lazify myself i'll get the camera working and take pics of my latest acquisitions.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Great finds. I wish I could find interesting rifles at my Gun show but so far all I ever see are recent refurbs.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
To be honest Ted, I don't think I've ever been to that particular portion of your website. I guess this falls into the Corps category of "Good initiative, lack of timing". :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It's funny how things happen in multiples. Savor this day, as they don't come around too often...

I tend to agree with Ted's statement regarding FRN's. In fact, I used that excuse last week when I picked up a 2nd Rem M-91. A friend asked my why I bought it, and I told him I'd get a better return than leaving my $$ in the bank. It's sad but true, and heck, who ever has enough Mosin's anyway.... BeSwift

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,875 Posts
well, I know what a gunshow is. I know what danger is. What's a budget?

seriously, good to hear you had a good show. congrats, Keith

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Budget Schmudget...................we you gotta buy, you gotta buy!

·
Registered
876 Posts
We hit up the Big Town one when we brought home my darling's Mosin - bought it from the guys at the Military Gun Supply booth, though the post-purchase process was less than favorable.

I liked the Korean War Vet who sold a handful of Mosins and a Springfield. Regardless, glad you picked up a great find. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts