Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the gunshow today and I saw a LOT more milsurp stuff than I've seen around here in awhile. While browsing, I came across a Fin M39 that seemed to be in outstanding condition. It has a SKY marking on the receiver (which is hex), comes with a sling, and has a mid 1940's date if I recall. I know it's kind of silly to ask price questions without being able to see pics, but the tag price was $389. I'm not accustomed to seeing those kinds of prices on MN rifles, although I know they're going up. Is this thing overpriced, or should I run back and pick it up? The show continues tomorrow as well, so depending on your opinions, I can still go back (or even go back today if it's a desirable rifle). Since I wasn't looking for an M39 this time around, I'm not well-read on what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you don't have one, & you want one, go back & haggle a lower price.
The SAKO SkY M39's are great rifles.
Few were produced & fewer still exist.
Hopefully, the stock date will match the barrel date.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
1,595 Posts
Just got back from the gunshow today and I saw a LOT more milsurp stuff than I've seen around here in awhile. While browsing, I came across a Fin M39 that seemed to be in outstanding condition. It has a SKY marking on the receiver (which is hex), comes with a sling, and has a mid 1940's date if I recall. I know it's kind of silly to ask price questions without being able to see pics, but the tag price was $389. I'm not accustomed to seeing those kinds of prices on MN rifles, although I know they're going up. Is this thing overpriced, or should I run back and pick it up? The show continues tomorrow as well, so depending on your opinions, I can still go back (or even go back today if it's a desirable rifle). Since I wasn't looking for an M39 this time around, I'm not well-read on what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

If it's a "44" Sk.Y buy it and ship it to me, LOL. My 42, and 43 are in excellent condition as well, but my 44.... not so much:).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Since it's just "ok", I'll probably drop back by the show tomorrow. If it's still there, we'll see, if it's gone, that's fine too. Is there a quick way to see if the wood matches the barrel when I look at it again?

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
1,595 Posts
Thanks guys. Since it's just "ok", I'll probably drop back by the show tomorrow. If it's still there, we'll see, if it's gone, that's fine too. Is there a quick way to see if the wood matches the barrel when I look at it again?
Sorry, I was too busy joking and didn't answer your question.

For starters if it's a Sk.Y rifle it should be in a Sk.Y stock with a matching date stamp as pictured (28/30 stock) except the 1944's which utilized already produced "42 or 43" dated Sk.Y stocks especially at that price.

I have a very nice "43" Sk.Y in a very pretty blonde striped, post war stock but I paid a lot less for it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
Just my opinion and I never see M39s on the loose at shows here. A number of years ago maybe, but not more than one or two that I can think of in the last few years. I have a small collection of SkY M39s and I too like the 1944s, but unless the rifle is pretty much original and matching I think the price has some wiggle room going down. If the condition is truely excellent and matching bolt, floor plate, barrel maybe in that high of price range. I paid too much for a couple of mine, they are nice, but be very picky in that price range is my advice. Good luck, John.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts