Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a dealers table this past weekend was a 1917 Enfield N1mk3 in a brand new blond unmarked stock set much like a Irish contract N4mk2. It was all stamped matching, bolt,reciever and nose cap. all metal was painted semi gloss black.... duller than my 9/53 Fazerkley i have at home. On the side of the reciever was dremelled a date " 6/52" but no other markings. It did not have an Ishy screw. My question is "Did any country rearsenal N1mk3's in the 50's? Or was this a fake?... I looked at it several times but passed it up at $250us...... thanks

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it, but BSA certainly FTR'd some No.1s in the '50s for practice/foreign contracts/military aid.

All of the ones I've seen are marked "FTR 1953" on the fwd L/H side of the receiver, and have the Suncorite finish, but from your description, it certainly sounds possible that this rifle is legit. If it is a good 'un, it'd be a fairly uncommon "variation", and easily worth 250 frog skins, IMO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply....That's what threw me as it only had the date not "FTR" anywhere. I stopped and looked at it 3 times but since i had never seen one either in person or read about one in a book or on the net i passed....should have got it......damn

·
Registered
497 Posts
jmikeb653, Too bad it got away...do you remember the dealer's name? You might still be able to pick it up. Going by the table three times is a strong indicator that it was talking to ya. :)

Regards, Brad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what i am hoping for..... that he will be at next months gun show and it will still be in his rack....... marked down!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts