Gunboards Forums banner

Guns you DO NOT miss and were glad to get rid of.

11K views 174 replies 94 participants last post by  bbbhunter 
#1 · (Edited)
Did not know where to put this, but this forum seemed the best fit...kinda.

OK, my friends, we all talk about the guns we had to let go of and lament their passing from us, but now...(drum roll please)

But now, how about the guns you had and were quite happy to get rid of.

Mine were two civilian handguns.

The Colt Trooper and the PK 380 auto made by S&W but shamefully carries a Walther banner on it.

Colt Trooper. Solidly built and had a nice thick barrel...but...

Shot way to the left with anything but 158 or heavier bullets. Also...shaved lead out the sides horrifically. Noticed this when I saw what it did to a cheap spotting scope I used. Almost sand blasted it on one side.

Next, this &*^%% of an autoloader called a PK 380. Felt really good in the hand, but did not even get through one mag without two stoppages. Then the magazine fell out of the gun. Yes...fell out! Then when it hit the ground it kinda exploded with base plate going one way, spring going another, and the ammo spilling out all over the place. Karl Walther turned over in his grave, I am sure. Pure junk.

OK, your turn, what duds did any of you have the misfortune of obtaining.
No shame, it happens to all of us at one point or another.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
I was after an FN Israeli Mauser. Found one at a local Gunshow and was so excited I paid for it without a good look over. Turns out it was drilled and tapped for a Lyman sight, and rechambered for 30.06, among other issues. Was quite disappointed, until I found another one from Dennis Kroh which I am very happy with. I passed the other one along. Still looking for a .22 Israeli Mauser.

#3 ·
I've regretted most guns i've sold in one way or another. There are a precious few that I am happy to be rid of.
One of them was a S&W 22A-1 that jammed so much it made me bleed once from racking the slide to clear jams.
I had 3 Kahr polymer frame pistols, a PM9, PM40, and CW40. I am happy to be rid of all three of them.
I had a sig nitron railed 1911 that I traded for a 1969 colt government. The sig hated cast lead so I was happy to see it go.

#4 ·
Mine was a beautifully sporterized K98. It was likely a matching gun before being hacked up and I normally hate the idea of destroying a rifle like that. But someone really put some quality work in to this thing. Very nice sporter stock, clip guide ground down and the receiver was polished and reblued. Timney adjustable trigger. Polished bolt and reconfigured bolt handle with checkered knob. Absolutely beautiful rifle.
The downside.
It was set up with a featherweight barrel in 35 Whelan Ackley Improved. Hands down the most miserable thing I've ever shot and I'm a big guy. It was actually quite accurate fire forming factory 35 Whelan ammo. But after 40 rounds on two separate days I said this is just too obnoxious to shoot!

#5 ·
Only one i have regretted buying was a garrucha pistol that was a single shot .22. I always wanted a tip barrel .22 pistol just because, but I should have not gotten this one and gone for a contender or something. Hammer would not stay cocked very well and had some light strikes, when I disassembled it it turns out the hammer spur had broken off. Not sure what to do with the rest of the gun as I still have it.

#6 · (Edited)
I recently acquired two big ole ugly Hi Point pistols as part of a package deal (45 and 9mm) I hate even looking at them, and see how much they are worth and hate them even more.

Too cheap to even bother with shipping to another buyer, and thought about making them truck guns, but hate the idea of a criminal stealing them. Stuck with these ugly bricks

#11 ·
A John Jovino imported Lithgow No. I Mk. III SMLE.... was a dirty sticky mess when I purchased it in the early 90s for less than fifty bucks. The bore never came clean no matter how much I scrubbed it. It was so pitted the bullets wouldn't even hit the paper. The bolt head kept coming off the receiver rail because the rail was so badly worn. It was truly a smelly SMLE in every sense of the word.

#14 ·
I was glad to get rid of every gun that I wasn’t really, really interested in because I was really, really interested in something else. Examples of interest have certainly changed with time. There were Winchester 1886’s, ‘92s, Winchesters with at least four special order options, then there were Colt New Service Targets/Shooting Masters and on.
So to fund these interests all others had to go, no way to keep them all. However, the most troublesome and overall pita were the Remington 740/742 family of failures. French Mas 36s for no ammo, a S&W 22A1, as mentioned above, was an embarrassment with any ammunition and to the S&W legacy, a Rossi M92 .357 Mag that would barely feed .38Specials much less a .357, along with others, as many lifelong gun cranks will know well.
The hard part for me was unloading that kinda low rent stuff. Had to find someone that would still take them in trade with my full disclosure of ailments.
Now, even after all that, another mutt has still slipped in, for I’ve recently found a Remington Model 81 in .25 Rem hiding in a shadow in a closet corner. Old and weary, not very pretty and starving to death for a lack of ammo.
Now I wonder if that fella down by Dubuque is still really, really interested in fine old 81’s with a few issues?? He must have something to trade and he’s on the way to Rock Island anyway……

#17 ·
Desert Eagle, it was unreliable and cheaply made.
Any shotgun I have ever owned.
Remington Rand 1911, likely the most over rated handgun on earth.
Colt 1911 in 9X19 I should have learned from the Remington.
03 Springfield, its a Mauser for podunks.
Norwegian Krag,an interesting gun but more valuable in parts.
Sako Nagant M-28, what an absolute pile of shite. Talk about a pig in lipstick.

There will be plenty more come to think of it.

#18 ·
Smith & Wesson Victory .22 took jamming to an absurd level, triple feeds, every other failure known to man. Much happier with my Ruger Mark IV which has ran like a top with all sorts of ammo as long as it gets cleaned every 200 rounds or so.

#26 ·
Back when the Russian new manufactured Makarov was available in the US market I got one in .380 ACP (for available ammo). I could not shoot that thing accurately despite my best efforts. Hearsay says those bores were 9x18 oversized rather than .380.
Got rid of it and got an East German Makarov which were touted as the cream of Makarov crop but could shoot that one no better so got rid of it too. Have a CZ82 that I like and can shoot it well so it’s not the cartridge. Glad we still have choices. One size does not fit all.

#21 ·
I’m with Highrider, too many to remember because I became interested in something else. But the ones that stick out. S&W owned Walther ppk 380 was indeed cheap imitation. No regrets passing it for a loss after its recall.
Many run of the mil surplus rifles that didn’t excite my emotions at all. M91/30, M44, SMLE. I’ve gone through more firearms that ones that live in my collection. And my collection is not shabby. I have 0 qualms letting items go. Life is short and variety is fun, at least to me.

#23 ·
Years ago I bought a WW1 German Mauser from Paragon. While I was not expecting much for less for the $100. It was junk. The stock was rotted, the barrel and receiver severely pitted under the wood and would have been very unsafe to shoot except that the 8mm round would drop thru the barrel and hit the bolt face with a nice plunk. I am not sure it even hit the sides of the barrel. I cleaned it up used a dozen tubes of super glue to stabilize the wood and dumped it at a pawn shop for just a little over what I had spent. It did not last a week on the shelf. I hope no one here got it.

#25 ·
LOL the Hakim I had was a beast. It had muzzle blast so bad that shooters on either side of me, two deep, would leave. Gas adjustment did nothing. It slammed so hard is was like a sledgehammer to the shoulder. Fun for a while, but then not so much. I don't regret sending it.
Star Firestar 9MM. I semi-regret this one. It was one of the early pocket 9's. Snappy recoil. Had to clamp down on it or the muzzle flip could hurt you. It needed a beaver tail.
Jennings .22. Jam-o-matic in the first order. Never found an ammo type that it could digest. $59.00 of pot metal junk.

#28 · (Edited)
Stoeger .22 "Luger" I had back in the '70s. Took it apart for a thorough cleaning... the one thing you should never do with these (or so I learned later). Sold it as a bucket of parts.

Re: Issues with a ITM 84S & EG Mak:
Had a Solothurn 84S and it shot well. Found the long trigger pull & fat grip somewhat uncomfortable so let it go for cost. Never had any issues with my Maks, though heard stories about the .380s. Also had a Polish MAG 98... very nice shooting pistol. Would of kept it except it was another, very limited production pistol like the 84S...of which spares were pretty much non-existent. Decided if it is a gun I plan to shoot often but parts are not available, unless keeping as a collectible, I should not buy it in the first place...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.