Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Not in Oklahoma. No municipality can have gun laws that are more or less strict than the state laws.
Are you absolutely sure?

State laws in Nev. also prohibit cities and counties from making more restrictive laws. However, just in our immediat area, there are drastically different gun laws than state laws.

The prime examples are the two counties Steve mentioned that require handgun registration. The state does not require handgun registration and Nev. does have laws prohibiting counties from passing laws that are more restrictive than state gun laws.

This has been an ongoing problem forever in my memory.

Lot of states have the law that prohibits municipalities from making their own more restrictive laws.

However this is not Reality. Nev. is a good example and there are more.

Long ago I did a internet search of the State and local laws, as well as Gov. regulatons concerning the interstate transportation of guns. I found that local laws are often more restrictive than state laws inspite of the state law prohibiting locals from passing more restrictive laws.

Why this is allowed, I don't know. It is for sure a fact in Nev.

I will post the Nev. gun laws when I find them again.

It is also a can of worms with the "Open carry" laws.

Do a internet search on that and see how much hassle people who choose to use that law to open carry, have to contend with.

A small town in So. Cal. comes to mind. I forget the name, but lots of folks ran into problems with LE because they chose to lawfully open carry.

I didn't research every state on the question of prohibiting municipalities to make their own laws, so it is quite possible there are some states that have uniform firearms laws, but it would be an exception.

I'll research OK again to see if any small towns have more restrictive gun laws than the state, just for interest.

NRA-ILA ::

This is as far as I got. I'll do a more extensive search when I get time.

Top line of that link, states there are OVER 20,000 gun laws in America.

I only found the state laws for OK. I'll get more details later.

I would highly recomend for anyone that is interested, to read that top paragraph from the NRA concerning gun laws in the good old U.S.A.

Update

This is what gets folks in trouble.

The Nev. law prohibiting counties from making more restrictive laws was passed AFTER the Clark county ord. to register all concealable guns was passed. In affect "grandfathering" the Clark county law in.

As mentioned earlier. Folks that are traveling a lot with a gun are in for big headaches, the only way to get a handle on it, is to retain a gun savy lawyer.

For locals in ANY area, it is strongly advised to check with local LE to see what is legal or not, regardless of what they may have heard about state laws. If anyone unkowningly breaks the law, it wil drain there resources and greatly alter their life fighting the legal system.

Untitled Document This link explains why our county and city laws are more restrictive than state laws that prohibit those laws.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,581 Posts
Richard, I believe it was the last NV legislature that passed a "state pre-emption" law but grandfathered in the Clark County and Boulder City restrictions. Oddly, the North Las Vegas law was NOT included, IIRC. North Las Vegas had provisions in their restrictions that also covered WHO could have a gun, which is the domain of Federal authorities. I think the reasoning was that this left NLV open to an expensive lawsuit if challenged so they quietly let their restrictions go away. It is covered in the proceedings of the last state legislature, although you may have to cross-reference to the NLV codes to align certain dates.

Edited to add:

Richard, you must have been modifying your post as I was typing. :)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yes, I'm sure. Open carry is against the law in Oklahoma at this time. Also, the Brady bunch ranks Oklahoma at #49 when it comes to "common sense" gun laws because we don't have many of the laws other states have. However, Oklahoma does have many laws concerning guns and they are statewide and no city I know of has passed more restrictive laws. If that was possible the liberal mayor of Tulsa would have already enacted them. Now, how the various LE agencies enforce those laws can vary. BTW, I lived in Las Vegas from 1983-84 so I know about the varience in the gun laws.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,636 Posts
I'll agree with AniWaya. I have a friend who has been an 01 FFL for years here in OK. We have discussed this a couple of times. Here in OK when you purchase a firearm the only people who know is you, the dealer, and of course ATF just knows you are purchasing because of the background check. But as to records, there is no registration. The only record is what the FFL keeps, which is his bound book. There are no requirements as to having to register, neither handgun or long gun.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There are towns/cities that have passed stricter guns laws in PA...however they cannot be enforced and eventually have been dropped. Philly tried to do it recently and the DA essentially said do whatever you want, but I won't waste time prosecuting it.

As someone who travels a lot in the state, I love knowing ONE set of laws and making sure I stay on the right side of them, from one side of the state to the other.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
When upstate NY tries to fight back against The City, all anyone ever does to help is say "move", so we're kinda stuck. Patterson's making things bad enough that he might tank the entire big-city democratic machine, though, come next election.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you heard the latest in Oklahoma? Two Democrats-yes I said Democrats- in the state house are wanting to propose a ban on collecting sales tax on the sale of firearms in Oklahoma.
Their reasoning is that peoples constitutional right to bear arms is being taxed, and shouldn't be.

Who'd thunk it???

KEN

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
The way I read it they found an "arsenal" of weapons consisting of two handguns and one rifle. OH my God...what if they raid me? What do you call 173 and counting? Time to build the bunker...

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
The way I read it they found an "arsenal" of weapons consisting of two handguns and one rifle. OH my God...what if they raid me? What do you call 173 and counting? Time to build the bunker...
No joke. This has happened several times. The media goes nuts, calling bolt action guns, assault weapons and a few thousand rounds make you a very dangerous person. One in particular in CA a few years ago, made the collector out be a person planning a resurection with bolt action antique rifles. Unbelievable.

Does anyone have info. on OK laws on concealed carry etc.?

FWIW in interstate trucking circles, OK is known as a trucker friendly state. Good roads, good people, good truck stops, and lots of open spaces, and no hassles with the DOT doing illligal searches in truck cabs.

Also is known to have the cheapest fuel. Why is that?

This is the way it used to be in OK ten, twenty years ago. All of our drivers shared those sentiments.

Texas also deserves a honorable mention.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Ahh, i see, well then he probably should not own them for being criminally stupid, but criminal for owning them in the first place? My point remains the same.
And that's a big difference to me too. I found it ironic that a wealthy white stoned rock musician could get a slap on the wrist, for carrying an illegal unregistered handgun in NY City. Not a word out of mayor Boobberg's big mouth; when David Crosby was arrested a 4th time for drugs and a CCW violation. A black football player gets caught the first time and this jerk-off racist politician demands publicly that Plaxico Burress serve hard time on Ryker's Island.

NO; I do not blame New Jersey police disarming somebody who needs some basic firearms training before he owns a gun. I seem to remember that a gay serial killer (who targeted older men) killed a cemetary worker with hollow points there too. That detail was a BFD on the news, even though murder is a bigger deal by anybody's standards.

AFAIK, registration is not absolute even in Kommiefornia. Thousands of people continue to sell or inherit 50+ year old guns from relatives or buy them from a friend, no questions asked. The C&R list is full of old rifles and shotguns, which can be sold like a used TV and no BATF 4473 paperwork is involved...

Hey guys; we could start a new thread just to list those STUPID gun control laws from one state to another.

·
Gold Bullet member
537 Posts
In Texas it is also forbidden for cities to make stricker gun laws. In fact the cites can't even declare areas off limits for concealled carry that aren't also forbidden by the state law. Some cities had tried to declare parks, public transportation, and other city property off limits. The state legislature fixed that. Court rooms were already forbidden zones.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well, Mr Burris has two problems. He had a Glock which seems to be the cause of most accidental discharges that you hear about and he had an unregistered handgun. He is in trouble in two states as it is illegal to own any firearm in NJ without an FOID. Only a few "regular citizens" in NY are allowed pistol permits. One is, oddly enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Mr. Bloomberg.

·
Silver Bullet member
998 Posts
Registration equals confiscation remember those Legal SKS rifles in California and all who registered them had there guns confiscated.
whoa nellie, that was different. the sks's with detachable mage were banned already; then turner's sold some "sks sporters" that just happened to have detachable mags. the ca doj at first said it was ok, then changed their mind.

it was a combination of sloppy work by doj and carelessness by turners. I saw them for sale and wanted one but I knew it was too good to be true. and it was.

not that I am defending the stupid ca laws, but bad judgment is bad judgment no matter what the context.

as to registration = confiscation, not so far in michigan, where you have needed a handgun permit since 1921.

·
Silver Bullet member
37,523 Posts
I remember this starting to become an issue in New York--to the point of police calling widows/relatives of deceased permit holders and asking them to either register themselves or hand over the guns

http://www.lohud.com/article/20061210/NEWS01/612100348/1018

As for my own state, I am STILL incensed at a local gun shop that used to advertise on the radio with the scare tactic "If you have unregistered firearms, you can sell them to us legally".

·
Registered
52 Posts
NJ Firearms Laws et al.

NJ does not require registration, unless you are making a new purchase. (The form is called Pistol Purchase permit and voluntary form of register) The Firearms ID card is not required to possess firearms, however, is required for log gun purchase.

I believe they have some new stupidity regarding ammunition sales that I am not familiar with.

All that being said, the possession of firearms is illegal in NJ, *except* if you fall into the laws legal exceptions. Please understand that. It is illegal to possess *unless* you are doing something the law specifically permits. This can, and does, become difficult for a citizen. You can commit a felony by stopping for coffee on the way to or from the range.

The Firearms ID is nice because it adds additional exceptions to the silliness that is NJ law. (It used to authorize "posession and carrying" of long arms (since changed to "purchase")

It's not a pretty sight. and one I no longer have to deal with.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Well, Mr Burris has two problems. He had a Glock which seems to be the cause of most accidental discharges that you hear about and he had an unregistered handgun. He is in trouble in two states as it is illegal to own any firearm in NJ without an FOID. Only a few "regular citizens" in NY are allowed pistol permits. One is, oddly enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Mr. Bloomberg.
David Crosby loves his paramilitary .45 caliber 1911 pistols. He had three prior convictions and served time in the Huntsville Texas state prison. Where does a convicted felon buy yet another handgun in Kalifornia? Certainly not in the stores; where he would be caught up in a 15 day waiting period and flunk a background check.

That white racist New York mayor was satisfied that Crosby paid only a measley $5K fine for violating his beloved gun control laws. There was no penalty for the umtenth baggie of marijuana that was found in that same briefcase...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.