Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be off topic but news today Plaxico Burres NY Giants receivers home was raided in NJ one 9mm hand gun and one rifle was found investigators are trying to deternine if the weapons are registered? I have never registered a gun there is no law in Alabama that says I should for my guns in my home Is this the the law in NJ and is it legal?

·
Registered
137 Posts
It burns me up that we are all one nation under one constitution and the stupid gun laws vary so much from state to state. You can be a legal gun owner in one place, cross a state line and your a criminal. A police raid for one pistol and a rifle, whats the country coming to.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,581 Posts
We have handgun registration in a couple of counties in NV. Oddly enough, they are the counties that contain Las Vegas and Reno. This law has been on the books for some time. My theory is that the mob wanted to know who might be kitted up before busting down their door.

·
Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
Wasn't aware of a raid on his house. Here's a reference for others who missed this bit of compelling news.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1112407

I don't care much about Mr Buruss and any other overpaid, immature athlete who makes stupid decisions. I do care about the laws that can be applied in a Draconian manner. It you look at the article, it points out that he could be prosecuted for two felonies, one for the gun, and one for the magazine, each carrying a MANDATORY sentence of 3 1/2 years! Common sense??? I don't think so.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
oh i agree with your point but this is one guy who really shouldnt own guns in the first place ..no matter where he lived....i do however disagree with those stupid laws....makes me glad i live in the south
Don't want to burst anyones bubble, but here are some facts.

Not only do states have different laws on guns ownership and use, but every municipality in the U.S. can and does have their own laws on gun use and ownership.

This includes the South.

Ask any well informed person who has to travel a lot and carries a gun. I.E. truckers, sales people, etc.

I don't know if you would include Tenn. as the "South" but one of our associates ended up in jail there because he had a shotgun in the cab of his truck. They searched his truck at a weigh station and found it. This was lots of years ago, so I imagine it is MUCH worse now. It would have been much more serious if it had been a handgun.

The ONLY way to to deal with this kind of ambiguity, is to have a good gun savy lawyer on retainer, or you are dog meat if misfortune comes
your way.

This has been well known to those that have to travel for business.

As Steve mentioned. In Las Vegas ALL concealable guns have to be registered. I do mean ALL, anything that shoots a projectile of any sort has to be registered. This is a Clark county law.
However, it is legal for qualified citizens to carry a loaded gun in their car in plain sight or under the seat etc in Las Vegas.
In the suburbs of Las Vegas, like North L.V. and Henderson it is NOT legal to carry a loaded gun in your car.

Boulder city, right outside of L.V. it is NOT legal to carry any gun, even if you have a CCW.

Nev. and CA are also open carry states. Meaning you can carry a gun as long as it is in plain sight. There are details on what that means.

However, guess what happens if you try walking down a busy street with a holstered gun or carrying a rifle. Not recomended, big hassle.

This is not unusual and many other areas are even worse.

The laws are constantly changing towards more gun control and regulation. Most folks don't notice, because they only know their situation in their area.

Some places in Wyo. as well as others, it is common to see people walk around with holstered guns.

The laws out West have changed drastically in my life time, when it comes to carrying and registering guns. All in the direction of more control and restrictions. It is a sign of the times.

Most all of Ca. restrictive gun laws have been relatively recent because of the gangs and bank shootouts, well publisized. The N. Hollywood shoot out is probably responsible for more restrictive gun laws in Ca. than any other one incident.

I Conn. there are signs on the Hwy. as you enter the state. NO guns period.

Anyone interested can go to the various web sites that spell out the laws of various states on guns. NJ and other Eastern states seem to be the most restrictive, but don't have monopoly on stupid restrictive laws.

People who have to deal with these laws will be the first to agree with the "stupid" part.

Piising and moaning about it is pretty useless. It is the way it is.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,054 Posts
The variances in laws are primarily because the Federal Government laws and regulations apply to interstate regulation/commerce. Activities that are intra-state (within a state) are rightfully regulated by each state. States Rights.
Certain laws superceded this authority., such as kidnapping, bank robbery, RICO and since the 1930's certain firearm activities. But in general, each state regulates firearms with local legislation also having authority. FFL holders must comply with federal regulations by definition of their license of course.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
As does the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. No County, Municipality or Township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the Commonwealth.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.