Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,778 Posts
Yes, it gets old, but I've been watching it go on for 20 years now (since I've been watching Gunbroker). The dollar amounts are much higher than they used to be, but the sentiment is the same - some of these buyers could save themselves a ton of money by just using google. They make the simplest mistakes, like the guy that paid 3,895 for the fake dou44/byf45 junker with fake paperwork. I don't feel bad for them honestly, education is cheap in the digital world. I mean, you have a computer to bid on stuff, use it to learn. The simple truth is they don't care to learn, they know it all....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello,

honestly I have had MANY great finds (probably 90-95% of my collection is off Gunbroker) on Gunbroker, while ppl who have no clue on what they are buying get sucked AWAY from the stuff I am looking at a good amount of the time of course NOT always the case as there is a good group who know what you SHOULD pay and stop and let the idiots take over. I am a firm believer in I place a bid of what I will pay once I get out bid I walk away its very simple for me I am only looking to buy up the DEALS for my collection so I have INSTANT equity in my total collection and new purchase. I try to learn as much as possible and it has served me well. I just hope when I sell they find my auction and quadruple my profits when I finally sell stuff, it has not happened yet : ( I might need a grey blanket : ) JK I have a brown rug and its not helping LOL.

later
vaughn

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Sadly, this is not a new thing, it was (and still is) happening at live auctions.
I stopped attending because of this very thing, I would spend weeks pouring over the catalog selecting my targets, doing my research, finding the time to go and view the items, deciding what my upper limit was, etc, etc.
Only to have the effort wasted by some yahoo who doesn't know any better.
Now, bear in mind, I'm not talking about another enthusiast that had deeper pockets than I did, that is to be expected and is part of the process.
No, I'm speaking of the guy who was there to try and get a certain deer rifle on the cheap, got outbid and then proceeds to bid up everything else just because he came to buy a gun, didn't get what he wanted and now has a pocket full of money or the two jokers who but heads over a currently manufactured item and run the bidding to above retail!
At least at a live auction you can see the guy who is messing you (and everyone else, of course) up, a living target for your evil wishes, if you will but an online auction all you have is a moniker, very dissatisfying!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have had good luck at live auctions mostly buying from the estate. All depends on who shows it and if they have money. Some auctions I have been too folks hardly bid, some guns they give away. When I saw a nice GI K98k brought out for an opening bid of $100 and they said please will someone buy it. Well I did.

But some auctions I have been too people go nuts, can't win them all. Just know when too walk away and don't get caught in the rush on something.

And Farb that fake dou44/byf45 junker is a perfect examples whats wrong with some of the collectors out there. They have no clue what their getting and buy right into the BS. That rifle alone has been sold three times now, and my bet it will be for sale again. Like a game of pass the turd along.

Hell if you want another great example ask Big Ben from classic, talk about junk being sold real quick. Must be those War Eagles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.