Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out trying to land a deal this evening off the dreaded Gubroker......haha what a farce! Bidding and watching 2 separate auctions..
Both rifles were very nice examples.....both had reasonable interest, probably too much. From a big dealer on there, my first inclination that its probably pointless to try to bid.....
So lots of bidding, then within the 5 minute count down.....both auctions get swooped in by bids that win with NR buyers.
WHAT A JOKE?! Do sellers really think I'm going to send my hard earned money towards this situation....well the answer is NO. I backed out and watched from there.
In one auction the NR bidder WON....
The other more expensive rifle, looks like the previous high bidder that wasn't me...took the bait...YUP jumped it up a hundred bucks and "won".....Nope you can have that buddy. I'll wait for the next one....
I've bought many nice guns on DasJoker auction site since I joined there in what 2004?
Its a FAR cry from what it used to be. I know I've touted before to folks to stay away, but I've seen some small sellers offer some good items with BIN prices in line with pre pandemic freak out prices. SO I'm the sucker that keeps looking. I mean I did manage to buy a matching/mummed Type 99 for $428 a few weeks ago. But it wasn't from a seller that get's all the looks...
Any auction from a "premium seller" that gets a lot of publicity and goes to the hammer count down. Its an absolute joke nowadays. This is all entirely MHO, but I'll continue to do 90% of my gun buying and selling right here with established members. Never been severely disappointed here.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
It's a seller's market right now. I quit looking on Gunbroker years ago. Black Market Arms ruined my Mosin search. When 91/30s were selling at around $250, that seller must have had 50+ listings of 91/30s all at $450+. It was tiresome, for me, scrolling through all of those rifles, looking for one I liked. I look every now and then and see absurd prices. One seller constantly lists rifles at $200-300 over market value. Many common rifles with antique receivers sell for $800-$1,200. People still seem to find decent deals on there. I found most of the stuff I wanted. I've considered selling my stuff at times. My interest has been waning for a while.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was watching a decommissioned m91/30 (everything but the receiver) that had a hand guard that was a second pattern dragoon. I'm not sure if the stock was original matching too it. The hand guard caught my attention and so I watched it. I didn't really have a need but hey, rather unique I thought. The bidding ended earlier this evening with the final bid at $330 shipped. Again, a receiver is not included. All I could say was wow. The barrel date was 1934.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Which means it is a great place to sell, perhaps not the best place to buy. The problem is almost every potential gun owner/seller is aware of the ebay status of GBrokers.
I don't think that nation wide market phenomena is going to change at all...it will go up/down etc. depending upon financial times but it will, imo, set the market norms.
The 'Shotgun News' style of print reaching a small market share is not going to return.

I know it can be frustrating when compared to 'the good old days' of smaller markets and less competition but I don't think a back in time reset is coming.

Know what you want and buy it when you can.....don't hope for the 'olden days'....they ain't coming....

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Indeed, hot items always seem suspect the way auctions go. I have not found a reason to buy there.
People get unreasonable when an item is desirable. Sometimes it gets ugly.

I try to buy here on the trader or from good retailers, or friends where I can. Pay a fair price and get what I pay for.
On the super rare things, they seem to gravitate to the auctions. Guess I will never have any of those.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,090 Posts
does me good, I list a lot of my inventory on there and hope for a bidding war, and get one some times,

the NR's only issue is sometimes they are deadbeats, so I have to go thru the relist and get credit stuff,, which takes all of 3 minutes,, after waiting 10+ days to see if they will pay,

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah my main complaint as a buyer is going up against bidders who probably aren’t going to pay that are NR bidders. What’s the point when they get the price up. But you know more than likely won’t be paying the seller. Well we’re back at square one.Totally agreed it’s great for sellers, dealers at least.
Dealers for profit vs collectors selling some stuff is a big difference. If you’re running a business and counting on profit then you’re not a collector.
The good ones are friends on here and sell to other collectors directly. They avoid the sellers fees. And I avoid sales tax. Win win. The greed and money hungry gun community eager to screw over the other fellows for a few more bucks is another dirty part of our deteriorating society for sure.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,245 Posts
Gunbroker has two fatal flaws right now... NR Scammers with fake auctions and NR Schill bidders that Jack up prices.

Until they get a handle on those issues... especially the Scammers... I would avoid GB.
Make that three fatal flaws: they also completely ignore any customer protection claims.

A seller sent me the wrong rifle a few months ago and was completely unresponsive when contacted. I filed a customer protection claim, and got nothing but crickets from Gunbroker even after multiple follow up messages sent to them.

In short, don't have any illusion that you have protection from dishonest sellers on Gunbroker.

·
Gold Bullet Member
998 Posts
The last time I did any business on GB’r was buying a used Bearcat from one of the non-A-list sellers. This was just before COVID. It was a good price and fast shipping but I believe that will be the last time I buy anything there. I agree I’d rather deal with established folks on this site and one other I am on daily. Honestly the best deals I’ve found have been from local guys at gun clubs.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
I was watching a decommissioned m91/30 (everything but the receiver) that had a hand guard that was a second pattern dragoon. I'm not sure if the stock was original matching too it. The hand guard caught my attention and so I watched it. I didn't really have a need but hey, rather unique I thought. The bidding ended earlier this evening with the final bid at $330 shipped. Again, a receiver is not included. All I could say was wow. The barrel date was 1934.
Interesting that there is, at the moment, a bolt/receiver only for sale on the auction. It is a round receiver.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've had some suspicious stuff going on too on a couple of auctions I participated in. Based on "completed auctions" searches, an item I was bidding on was listed several times in the past with no bites. I threw in a lowball bid and went to bed. When I woke up, there were multiple low rated or NR user bids that jacked the price up. Where were these guys the past 3 times the item was posted at the initial asking bid?

I am pretty sure these are shill bidders working with the Seller, hoping to drum up FOMO for the "actual" bidder(s) to increase their bid.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.