Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My gun collection is now nearing 50 and storage is becoming a problem. I currently have them all in homemade gunracks up in the unheated attic. We are about ready to have the attic finished into a bedroom so the guns need to go somewhere else. (No, not to your gunracks!) We very little room for storage in the house but I have a really nice barn which houses my workshop and serves as storage space. (No animals there anymore.) It is dry and unheated but has electricity. It is dusty however,

Does anyone have any ideas about building a gun stotage "locker" that would provide good storage conditions. I was thinking of a plywood locker with weather sealed joints and some sort of dehumidifying rods or light bulbs. It would be in the loft and it does get hot up there in the summer however.

Let me know what you think.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
I ran out of room so we bought a new house.

Hi my name is ihatemacs and I have a problem.

Honestly, if you are going to put them in the barn you have to have a temperature controlled enviornment or they will rust up and you will ruin them. I know someone that keeps a TON of stuff in containers outside but he keeps wood burners going most of the time when it is chilly and the containers are watertight.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
There are 2 conditions that must remain constant in order to preserve the wood and metal.

1) Temperature
2) Humidity

The temperature must to constant. Excessive heat or cold should be avoided but it is the temperature swings that cause problems. Humidity should be between 35 - 50%. Yes, it can be higher but more attention to the metal will be needed.

In a nutshell: Heat dries out and shrinks a stock. Humidity swells a stock and puts moisture onto ALL the metal surfaces as well.

A third consideration that is usually the solution for Temp and Humidity is air circulation. This is what the Golden rods do. By creating a heat source they circulate air within the closed environment. Of course circulation of humid air will add to you problems. Control the humidity first!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Humidity and temperature were mentioned and are a key elements in maintaining wood and metal in good condition. Another VERY important factor is security. With so many weapons in your collection, you need to invest on a good safe so your stash will be harder to steal. Its worth the money and effort.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I would build myself a small gun room inside the barn with a heat/cool window unit or to keep a constant temperature. This could be done pretty cheap and save your guns from the rust monster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts