Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,304 Posts
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public. Those high prices are there for a reason. Additionally, like my friend used to say, you can come down but you can't go up. I have met people who boast how much they paid for something, as if it's a badge of honor. I guess they're trying to say money doesn't mean anything to them. I don't know but I'm happy to oblige them if asked.

I have done that a few times. My response is we are bargaining on the price and there is an upside to that also. Really upsets the person. And they usually don't buy - until they find one elsewhere in the show that is higher than what I was asking.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hard as it is to believe , people don't want cheap guns !! Usually they think somethings wrong with it !!.... Made me wonder who the people were , who were in my hobby !!
And that's normally the case. My interest started on a hunting website when somebody asked what would be the cheapest rifle for hunting deer. The Mosin-Nagant came up, selling for $75-100 at the time.

I was immediately wondering what this gun could possibly be like, as a hundred bucks normally got you an old .22 or a parts gun, and these people were making it perfectly clear that it would do the job for a deer. That led to research and eventually couple of milsurp purchases, as much as anything to backup my usual whitetail arm.

I really wasn't purchasing with the mindset of a collector or thinking that this was any sort of hobby. I suspect that first purchases of milsurps, at least back then, were not so much collecting purchases, but often folks like me who were just curious or looking for a shooter (at least when the guns and the ammo were relatively cheap).

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,669 Posts
A couple of things that may humor you all about the human mind. Years ago when I lived in Commiefornia, we had an earthquake. My friend said FEMA was giving money away, up to $2200 per household. So I called and a guy came out. I showed him the crack in the ceiling ,[been there for 11 years], the floor, and the stucco outside [ which cracks almost as soon as it dries]. He was writing all this down and even added some things . Then he said to me, "Did you lose any clothes " ?? I looked at him and after trying to absorb it , said, "You mean like they fell off the hanger and broke "??? He laughed and just said, "I have to ask, it's one of the questions". No wonder we owe almost 30 Trillion , they're throwing money around . I did get my check.
Another example. If you have a piece of furniture , and don't want to haul it away, don't put it out by the curb with a sign that says "Free" !!! I learned that no one wants something for free . So I put a sign on it , "$25 " and the next morning it was gone , after sitting there with the free sign for days. Remember , these same people also come to gun shows !!

·
Registered
91 Posts
A couple of things that may humor you all about the human mind. Years ago when I lived in Commiefornia, we had an earthquake. My friend said FEMA was giving money away, up to $2200 per household. So I called and a guy came out. I showed him the crack in the ceiling ,[been there for 11 years], the floor, and the stucco outside [ which cracks almost as soon as it dries]. He was writing all this down and even added some things . Then he said to me, "Did you lose any clothes " ?? I looked at him and after trying to absorb it , said, "You mean like they fell off the hanger and broke "??? He laughed and just said, "I have to ask, it's one of the questions". No wonder we owe almost 30 Trillion , they're throwing money around . I did get my check.
Another example. If you have a piece of furniture , and don't want to haul it away, don't put it out by the curb with a sign that says "Free" !!! I learned that no one wants something for free . So I put a sign on it , "$25 " and the next morning it was gone , after sitting there with the free sign for days. Remember , these same people also come to gun shows !!
When you say "it was gone", did they leave $25?
At curbside a few years ago, I picked up a decent beige suede 'Haverty's' couch - free, with one of the cushion buttons missing. Then installed a replacement button kit with matching fabric and it looks great now - certainly better than the worn-out couch it replaced. But I suppose I would've paid $25. But I've put stuff at the curb with no sign and seen it go away.
As for gun show prices, I've found some decent deals at my VGCA show at the local fairgrounds. But haven't been to a regular show since before the craziness started last year.

Mark D.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,669 Posts
When you say "it was gone", did they leave $25?
At curbside a few years ago, I picked up a decent beige suede 'Haverty's' couch - free, with one of the cushion buttons missing. Then installed a replacement button kit with matching fabric and it looks great now - certainly better than the worn-out couch it replaced. But I suppose I would've paid $25. But I've put stuff at the curb with no sign and seen it go away.
As for gun show prices, I've found some decent deals at my VGCA show at the local fairgrounds. But haven't been to a regular show since before the craziness started last year.

Mark D.
I just wanted to get rid of it and after it sat there for free, I put $25 on it and it was gone. I've taken stuff the the Salvation Army, Goodwill and others and they don't want old couches, pillows , matrasses and such for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just wanted to get rid of it and after it sat there for free, I put $25 on it and it was gone. I've taken stuff the the Salvation Army, Goodwill and others and they don't want old couches, pillows , matrasses and such for obvious reasons.
So they didn't want it for free, but were willing to steal it! :)

Happy Motoring, Mark D.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well I'll be attending the Indy 1500 show next week lets see if there is some treasures in there. Regrettably that show is full of jewelry, candy, massage chairs not kidding, cheap Chinese made swords, vacuum cleaners, rubber band guns, fireworks, sun glasses, kitchen knife sets, lots of tacticool stuff, etc. But very few guns and lots of high priced ammo. Might take a few guns out there and put on my buddies table, see what happens. But for some reason folks at this show love cheap guns. I watched for years people questioning friends of mine. Some pretty funny questions too! Such as: "Why is this Mosin $350 but this one is over $1000 just because it has a scope on it?" Ah yeah, why is that lol! Will see what happens if it doesn't sell I'll wait till the SOS show. Folks in that show don't complain about price tags I have seen it. Hell I paid $2500 for my all matching AX 1940 k98k in there without batting an eye. That was a gun I was hunting for and that was back in 2016.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,669 Posts
Look at the positive side, the more junk tables, the less choice buyers have so you should sell out. All kidding aside, as I've said before, you guys who complain, should get a table, split one if you have to , but support these shows. The reason the junk is there is because the organizer needs the revenue to pay for the show. People eyeball $90- $125 as "High" for a table and walk around with guns that they either sell too cheap, or take home.[ probably could have paid for the table with the money they lost selling it too cheap]. With a table, you get in on set up day, you get in early on opening day, [both opportune times to buy ], and will sell stuff because the guy who looks at it walks away, knows where you are so if he decides to buy, he knows where to find you !!!! Walking around trying to sell is a waste unless the show is so small, anyone can find you. Other pluses of a table are, you get a place to sit down, a place to store what you buy, a place to bring your own food and drink , and a place to BS with others of similar interest. I have never failed to pay for my table and then some, and I got rid of a lot of junk besides just guns. If you want the deals, they go down on set up day and before 9 AM . After that, the cattle come in a eat the expensive feed , everything else is gone or repriced .

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Going to Court Days in Mt. Sterling, KY on the 16th. 1st time since 2019. I'm hoping COVID-19 and the currently wonky gun market wont make it a wasted trip!!(2hr drive)
We'll also consider visiting neighboring Preston which can prove to be a real treasure trove of deals. You just never know. BUT access is horrible. One road only, in and out!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet member
874 Posts
Gunshow Saturday. Nice No4 mk1, stock except no drill scope mount and cheap 3x9 scope added. Rear sight removed for mount and was missing. $400 and he was willing to come down. Same guy had beautiful 6” Ruger security six with adjustable sights and leather shoulder holster for $400, also willing to come down. Ammo was expensive but saw 5 boxes of .308 Marlin for $35 each, very cheap. Nice 1903 for $900.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,669 Posts
Went to a show this weekend and found some great deals. You have to look for the guys with a lot of different stuff and 2 tables. 24 boxes of .223 for $240. 20 boxes of 9mm for $300 . .38 +P JHP / $25 a box. GSG .22 copy of a HK SP5K -$250 . Henry Lever in .22 -$200. Mossad marked Taglifolio copy of CZ 75 with 2 mags, $225 . .410 single shotgun -$100 . Mosquito Sig -$200. Now I also had a crowd of people throwing money at me for what I took to sell . 7.62X54R Czech light ball $10/ box , 8mm Czech 3boxes for $25 , STG44/22 with 5 mags in the box $600, Webley .38 S&W very nice, $600 and a Mini14 Ranch with Factory Ruger folding stock $1300 . I told them, you're scaring me, I must be selling too cheap. They said, "No, you're very reasonable and you have nice stuff." I've had these guns for a long time and never shoot them . I'm shooting a lot of .22 lately and no longer do 12 ga or other big stuff so it was a good tradeoff . I had a lot of fun just BS-ing and helping people with info they asked for about their guns. Saw a really nice Nambu 9/43 with Canvas holster that had 2 matching mags, the cleaning rod , spare firing pin and some original ammo that he wanted info on but didn't want to sell, [at this time]. I remember we used to sell that rig for $225 back in the '80,s . Like everyone who goes to the show, I want to come home with a new toy and sell enough to pay for my table and trip. This time I got several new toys and sold some old stuff I hadn't shot in years and probably wouldn't . Most of it went to other , younger FFL dealers. GOOD !! Again I say, get a table and have some fun .

·
Silver Bullet member
55,519 Posts
It seems guns shows used to be where you went to get deals on guns. Now they want more than online and seems like every show is same dealers with the same guns.
changing last 7 years old died out, quitting, started walking guns in events like i started / did 30 years ago!
just traded 75, number 3 boxes.. 7's new kerosene heater in box..
300 rounds for $400. air purifier for my great grand, grate child to use..

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,669 Posts
GUNBB
Who would ever have thought we see Webley, Mk IV, 38s bring $600?!?!

Well mine was mint !!! No import marks ,very little wear on the sharp edges of the barrel and almost unscarred grips. I'm going through my collection of 50 years or less and eliminating duplicates and ones I don't shoot anymore . I don't need the money , it's just age and an unknown future .

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Well mine was mint !!! No import marks ,very little wear on the sharp edges of the barrel and almost unscarred grips. I'm going through my collection of 50 years or less and eliminating duplicates and ones I don't shoot anymore . I don't need the money , it's just age and an unknown future .
I certainly know that song by heart!
BUT still....I recall people laughing at me when I paid $95 for a example, similar to what you described, telling me I'd never get my money outta it. (1983) I didnt listen!

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,669 Posts
1983 was pre internet. The only reference anyone had were books that had B&W pictures and scant info. I joined a collectors club so I could learn . We had a monthly meeting with show and tell and a theme . Some of the stuff those old guys brought was incredible. [ A powder horn inscribed with the guys travels during the French and Indian War and with his name which was documented that he was at Concord Bridge !!!!] . I listened and learned . Then I also joined a shooting club where weekend gunsmiths would show you how to take your gun apart and clean it , what to look for when buying and values of various firearms. Now every bozo can look up his whatever and get a distorted idea of worth which he then takes to a gun show and takes home later. I see more and more idiots asking more for a gun than you can buy them for new. Before it was easy to buy good stuff. Now it takes a bit of effort and more so , luck !! Your collection would be impossible to do , today.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,570 Posts
Gun shows.... Last time I went to one, was the 2008 show at the Orange Co fairgrounds in Cost Mesa, Ca. I had $500 in my pocket, and no real agenda as to what I was looking for. About half way thru the isles I came across a guy that had a gorgeous 1903 Springfield for sale, I think was marked $600. I offered him my 500 and he abruptly refused. I didn't try to dicker with him on price, he struck me as not interested in anything I had to say so I moved on. Still think about that '03 and lament that I didn't at least try to bargain with him. A few tables away a seller had quite some milsurps on display for very reasonable prices. A nearly mint 1941 Sako M39, and a beautiful Chicom SKS. $125 for the M39 and $130 for the SKS. Since I had my 03 license, I walked out the door with them both. With change left in my wallet.

Attachments

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,304 Posts
Look at the positive side, the more junk tables, the less choice buyers have so you should sell out. All kidding aside, as I've said before, you guys who complain, should get a table, split one if you have to , but support these shows. The reason the junk is there is because the organizer needs the revenue to pay for the show. People eyeball $90- $125 as "High" for a table and walk around with guns that they either sell too cheap, or take home.[ probably could have paid for the table with the money they lost selling it too cheap]. With a table, you get in on set up day, you get in early on opening day, [both opportune times to buy ], and will sell stuff because the guy who looks at it walks away, knows where you are so if he decides to buy, he knows where to find you !!!! Walking around trying to sell is a waste unless the show is so small, anyone can find you. Other pluses of a table are, you get a place to sit down, a place to store what you buy, a place to bring your own food and drink , and a place to BS with others of similar interest. I have never failed to pay for my table and then some, and I got rid of a lot of junk besides just guns. If you want the deals, they go down on set up day and before 9 AM . After that, the cattle come in a eat the expensive feed , everything else is gone or repriced .
Very wise statement.

Reactions: GUNBB

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went to the Pgh. Gun show,and the prices people are asking for junk and a few nice pistols and rifles are through the roof. I came early to the show with a pass to help my friend, a-gun parts guy. I was carrying a SVT 40 (Finnish) to show a Friend, and I was stopped by at least a dozen guys (mostly dealers) who offered me what I thought were stupid prices…….2000 .2300 (A lot of $ for dealers to offer!) I hid it under the table until I left……Is this because of no gun shows during COVID or people flush with money. It appears to me that a lot of people who are buying are DEALERS or COLLECTOR!Is. Is the supply of good items only with collectors and dealers?
I went to PA gun show today. I saw a standard 91/30 going for $625.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.