Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to show today in Cincinnati. Not a single Mak. A few PA-63's ranging $125-159.00 in nice shape. What was frustrating was listening to one dealer explain to a shopper that he had a nice Makarov from Russia as he showed him a PA-63. I listened as the dealer explained that Makarov's are nice shooters and that they regularly get imported from Russia. I had to jump in. I said I have a Makarov and that his didn't look like mine. "That's because there's many types of Makarov's," he explained. The dealer simply didn't know what he was talking about.

The customer said he had heard good things about Makarovs and was really looking to find one. He told the dealer he'd think about it. I could not resist. I had to talk to the guy once he walked away from the dealer. I explained the difference between the PA-63 and a true Mak. I made it clear I didn't want to sway him either way but wanted him to know the truth. He was very appreciative.

Saw customer later in the day and asked what he did. He bought the PA-63 afterall but at least he bought it knowing all the facts. Said he'd still be looking for a Mak. I guess starting with a PA-63 isn't all that bad anyway.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Anything to make a sale!

Sounds like the dealer that was advertising a Makarov that shot either 9x18 or 380!! It is frightening how stupid some people are and how gulible others are. You always need to be careful because someone is always looking to take advantage of the un-informed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hate it when dealers try to pull that con.
They know the Polish P-64 and Hungarian PA-63 is not a Makarov, they are just being dishonest. I don't hesitate to jump in any say that gun IS NOT a Makarov.

There were a few Maks at the gun show yesterday selling from about $250 and up.
I saw a very nice EG for $300.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Went to a gunshow in KC over this last weekend and experienced something very similar. A guy was looking at a 63 ($195) and asked the dealer if it was a Makarov. The dealer said it was. He was very matter of fact about it. The buyer hemmed and hawed and walked away. I caught him and asked what he was interested in. He said a Mak but that one was a little pricey. I politely informed him that the 63 was not a true Mak, but it did shoot that round. The 63 is based on the Walther design. He asked how I knew and I couldn't lie, I told him makarov.com. Great info and easy to find. He thanked me and went on his way. Don't know if he purchased anything or not. With some dealers out there who are maybe a bit on the questionable side, it is nice to have this board and others like it, where newbies - including me- have a place to do our own homework.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There was a gun show in Cincinnati?????

Man! Things HAVE changed up there. Where did they have it? Last I heard they had banned gun shows in the 'nasti!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KY-Mike, the gun show is the Bill Goodman show. They have one every month during the fall and winter at the Sharonville Convention Center. Not much of a show compared to others but fun just the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got back from a gun show today in Evansville, In. Guns, accessories and parts were way overpriced as usual and most ammo was as well but found some I've been wanting to try that can't find around here. Got some 9x18 Norinco green box and Silver Bear HP for $9.00 /box for each which I thought was a pretty good price also.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I bought a German Mak. a few weeks ago that the dealer had marked .380 instead of 9x18. Me being the good guy that I am felt it was my obligation to buy it, I don't want anyone to get hurt shooting the wrong ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts