Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you put on displays at your local gunshows? I've done so twice in the past, and figured I'd give it a try again this coming weekend at the New Mexico Gun Collector Association show this coming weekend. This time around it's going to be kind of a generic Mosin display, but it will give me an opportunity to display some of the more difficult and interesting Mosins in my collection. Many of you have collections that blow my collection out of the water, but mines not bad and has some of the more desirable pieces a collector could want.

I only have space for 12 rifles. Here's what I intend to display.

1. Chatellerault made M91 (Finn rework)
2. NEW made M91 unissued with US proof marks.
3. Finn P26
4. Finn M24
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/Mosins/000_2115.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/Mosins/000_2110.jpg

5. Hungarian M52 sniper
6. Polish M91/98/25
7. M39 marked Sky
8. Finn 28/30
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/Mosins/000_2116.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/Mosins/000_2119.jpg

9. M91 Dragoon (Tula dated 1930 all original including stock and factory matching parts)
10. Remington M91 Cadet rifle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/Mosins/000_2128.jpg

11. SCW 91/30 with Spanish made walnut stock and handguard.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/Mosins/000_0466.jpg?t=1241897245

12. Czech 91/38 (Ishevsk dated 1899. Sorry, no pictures at this time.)

It was a bit hard deciding how to fill out the display. Most items were obvious for display, but I struggled with a few. I picked a few seemingly more common rifles, such as the M39, but thinking that it's one of just over 10,000 actually makes it one of the least produced Mosin rifles.

The SCW 91/30 has a very common Ishevsk 1937 barreled receiver, but the Spanish made stock is pretty scarce, and it's just a gorgeous piece of furniture!

Two others that I struggled but left out are the B Barrel M91 and the 91/30 converted to a rifle prop 3 band musket. I think the Chatellerault is more interesting being amongst the earliest of all Mosins produced, and the prop rifle is probably interesting to some oddball collecting enthusiasts, but probably not as interesting to the greater public.

Anyways, any comments or opinions are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only been on the aisle side at gunshows but as an attendee I would love to see a collection like that at one of our local shows. I think that would be the high point of my day.
Well, I hope someone in your area starts to display at the shows you attend. It's just not fun to have such interesting items locked away where no one can enjoy them. The last two displays have resulted in numerous interesting conversations with milsurp enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've only been on the aisle side at gunshows but as an attendee I would love to see a collection like that at one of our local shows. I think that would be the high point of my day.
I agree completely, I have not seen very many Mosins at any of the shows I go to. In fact, I have only ever seen one M91. The most common is naturally refurbs, and a few M44. Yes, your collection would be the highlight of my day as well.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
As in "display" do you mean "nothing for sale"?

There were times when I had almost 30 rifles on the table. Quite the display, but all for sale. I did think about displaying rifles that I was keeping on a display "wall" behind the table. But, I never really got the same space, and there was at times NO wall behind me. Not to mention, I really did want to get out quick. The less I had to pack up, the better.

My last girl friend's dad had a Colt display. I guess he won best display at the Los Vegas show a few times. Hehe...he also won the favor of the feds by making his own weapons, and "allegedly" stamping his own coins. He was absolved of all wrong doing, but there are still folks that are weary of some of the coins he sold.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
29,043 Posts
I did a display one time. I made four racks from plywood, from a sticky on this site.
Take a friend or someone. I did it by myself, and it was hard. You need someone to help watch your stuff while you take care of business. 33 rifles was hard without a four wheeled cart of some type. Hand trucks don't cut it.
Take your lunch and snacks, drinks. It's fun, but work.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
29,043 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,536 Posts
Sniper,

You should attract some attention. Nice line up. Particularly the NEW, Pole, Dragoon and the Spaniard. Also like a M39 with a crazy fine stock. Many of us will never see some of your pieces in person. Be prepared to explain what the rifles are. Good of you to share part of your collection. That Spanish stock is special, would like to see the inside, but know why you wouldn't want to take it apart.

LB

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The display I'm doing would be strictly for show. Those that want to display get a free table and a chance to win a small cash prize. I'll be sharing a vendor table next to my display, so I and my friends will be close at all times. It will have descriptive tags throughout, with the most important being "Display only, not for Sale" and "Do not touch!". People couldn't help but pick up my items and ask "how much" even when the signage is clearly visible!

Yeah, there are some annoying attendees but for everyone of those, you get to meet probably a dozen milsurp enthusiasts that appreciate the display. The first time I put up a display, it was all about Finn rifles of the Winter War and included all the major Russian and Finn Mosin variations as well as a few really scarce ones. I had more than one laughable comment about "gee, anyone can go buy a bunch of $99 rifles at Big 5 and put on a display". I just laugh that one off.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha! That worked wonderfully! Thanks Martin! I changed computers and have never been able to figure out how to properly post pictures in nearly 3 years. I'm a lot of things, but apparently not a computer whiz. A decent digital camera will also help.

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
The display I'm doing would be strictly for show. Those that want to display get a free table and a chance to win a small cash prize. I'll be sharing a vendor table next to my display, so I and my friends will be close at all times. It will have descriptive tags throughout, with the most important being "Display only, not for Sale" and "Do not touch!". People couldn't help but pick up my items and ask "how much" even when the signage is clearly visible!

Yeah, there are some annoying attendees but for everyone of those, you get to meet probably a dozen milsurp enthusiasts that appreciate the display. The first time I put up a display, it was all about Finn rifles of the Winter War and included all the major Russian and Finn Mosin variations as well as a few really scarce ones. I had more than one laughable comment about "gee, anyone can go buy a bunch of $99 rifles at Big 5 and put on a display". I just laugh that one off.
Sounds like a cool deal. Go for it. My displays would have been a marketing ploy at the Crossroad shows. No cash prize for best display there.

:thumbsup: Go for it!

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,313 Posts
I have set up displays at the show of the Missouri Valley Arms Collectors, Alabama Gun Collectors, South Carolina Arms Collectors and Ohio Gun Collectors.

Used to set up at Tulsa, but that place is hard to get into and out of. Once I drove to Denver for the Colorado Gun Collectors - never again. I won a prize but the drive there and back was a killer.

This picture is from the Ohio Gun Collectors show last May.

View attachment 519452

Or South Carolina Gun Collectors last October.

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
I thought about displaying some of my items at a show & seeing if any locals had those rooshian rifles they bought years ago for sale.....ya never know....

Pahtu.
It DOES happen...;)

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Hey SwingingSniper,
The Utah Gun Collector's Association has displays at every show, they make the shows much better, and is the reason I participate with the club. There are there shows a year, and I try to set up a display each show. A few displays are shown below. The criteria for judging is strict and it is difficult to place at the top. Labeling is one of the most important things in displaying (NRA rules apply at our show)

My last display was on WWI grenades

Last October, I displayed from the point of view of my grandfather and his brother in WWI.

A year ago, it was Browning's contributions to WWI, the Browning Museum sponsored two additional $250 prizes this show, one of which I took as well as the first prize from the club ($350)

WWI from the German point of view (grand prize $500)

It has been over a year since I have set up the large display, it is too much trouble to transport 13 mannequins the 200 miles to the show, but every display was a learning experience for me, and the number of interested people far outnumbers the ones who are a pain.
I usually have barbed wire in front of my display, it is an important part of WWI. When I did the last display, my wire was covered in ice from a storm the night before, and I did not want to deal with the mess, but Saturday evening, I had the wire out and ready fr the Sunday show, as it stops people from handling the stuff, it is better than any "do not touch" signs.
Best
Gus

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I thought about displaying some of my items at a show & seeing if any locals had those rooshian rifles they bought years ago for sale.....ya never know....

Pahtu.
That is one of the best reasons for setting up a display, it lets people know what you are interested in, a good number of my acquisitions are related to my having a display.
Gus

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.