Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if I posted this incorrect place I couldn't find a forum for my issue.

I want to purchase a gun safe at Bass Pro Shop that is 9.5 miles from house; I plan on putting the safe in my garage (a straight back in); currently the only way I can get it to my house is to find some one with a trailer, some muscle, etc etc OR hire "The Safe Guys" for $200. With all that said is $200 out of line? :confused:

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
go to costco or sams, or even home depot or Lowes, they will usually deliver for free on something like that.

·
Super Moderator
2,876 Posts
There is a youtube on home safes if I remember right / i.e. how easy it is to break into many and which ones are better. Especially if you will be having it in the garage :)

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,037 Posts
If it is easy to back in the garage and unload it, would it be easy for someone to back in the garage and load it up, with the guns inside and drive away?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Rent a heavy duty dolly from U-Haul then slap some burgers on the grill and invite 3 of your toughest friends over for lunch, It worked for me.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
There is a youtube on home safes if I remember right / i.e. how easy it is to break into many and which ones are better.
home burglaries are smash and grab, in and out. no burglar is going to spend time busing into a safe, the more he stays in a house the riskier it gets for him.

a basement is a ideal place for a safe, IHMO. if the OP doesn't have a basement, and has limited room in his house for one, then a garage is his only option. what I would do is to bolt the safe to the concrete floor.

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,217 Posts
Had a friend who had a fire in his garage and burned the roof off and the wallls down to 3 feet. The safe got hit with water and leaked, rusting many guns. He also had a KNAAK box, or construction box that shed the water and did alot better on the guns inside. I bought a 5 foot KNAAK box for my Muskets, horsed it into the house and put it in a closet in a back bedroom. Loaded up, there is no way that's leaving !! Like GOULARDI says , most home burgs are smash and grab. Unless you got some real expensive stuff, all you're going to face is dope boy !! These boxes are cheaper and can be bolted to the floor or the wall, very easily.They are standard equipment on all job sites for a reason. Home Depot is where I bought mine. Just MHO, BB

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
Knaak box with a double layer of DRYWALL is probably a more durable and higher rated storage than most entry level gun safes
(BTW, the "fire proofing is mostly dry wall and a expanding seal on the door)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
with all these posts I do not think any of us really answered his question. 200.00 is not out of line if you have no other options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very interesting stories etc But Thank you for getting to the core of my post.

For what it's worth, with the help of one of my sons I was leaning toward Uhaul but my biggest concern was SAFETY! just one mis-step and that's all folks. Unless I can find another safe moving outfit I guess I will go with the Safe Guys.

All in All I do appreciate all the input.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,531 Posts
Question is how big is the safe and the weight. For sure you need to anchor/bolt it down once you have in your garage. iMO Don't get the battery/electric lock openers. a smart burglar would take the battery out wait ten minutes and reset your keypad!!!!!!! Oh yes. All the info is out there. Good luck.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
479 Posts
$200 seems a little high to me, but it depends on where you live. If you have a friend with a good sized trailer, ask them for help. Moving a safe around isn't as hard as it seems. For example a smaller (say 600 lb) safe can be moved around (on level ground, no steps) rather easily with a set of handtrucks rated for say 800 lbs. You just need several people to help you with leverage and balancing.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,761 Posts
a friend of mine and I moved one from the trailer and into the garage with two crowbars and four pieces of 1/2" ID steel water pipe. Just lift a corner and stick the pipe under, then push, and put another pipe under it and push. Just like the Egyptians when one pipe came out another went under the front. That safe was 3 ft wide, 2.5 ft deep and 6 ft high. We did scratch the paint.

·
Super Moderator
16,496 Posts
If it's just going into your garage and a truck can back up your drive way, then I have to ask you a question, are you a member of AAA? If you are a member of AAA you can call for a flat bed tow truck to meet you at Bass Pro shops, when the driver gets there you tell him you don't really have a car problem but you will give him $50 to drop a heavy safe off at your house and the tow company will still get paid by AAA. I've had friends who have done this before. No tow driver will turn down 50 bucks cash in his pocket.

·
Registered
196 Posts
a friend of mine and I moved one from the trailer and into the garage with two crowbars and four pieces of 1/2" ID steel water pipe. Just lift a corner and stick the pipe under, then push, and put another pipe under it and push. Just like the Egyptians when one pipe came out another went under the front. That safe was 3 ft wide, 2.5 ft deep and 6 ft high. We did scratch the paint.
Too bad you did not try 1" PVC pipe. It won't scratch the floor (damp mop to remove dust from the floor first). I moved my 40" wide 6' tall safe, all by my lonesome, across the house using that Egyptian method myself.
Dan

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
pro safe guys move TONNES of safe (cause a REAL safe isn't weighed in hundreds of pounds unless it's REALLY small)
with two guys or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts