Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun-Mounted Flashlights Linked To Accidental Shootings http://www.captainsjournal.com/2014/06/08/gun-mounted-flashlights-linked-to-accidental-shootings/
...But what does this also show us? The astute reader says, “that cops are (a) using their weapon mounted light as a tactical light to see things in the dark, violating requirements for muzzle discipline, and (b) they have their finger on the trigger of their weapon, showing that they are violating requirements for trigger discipline. ...

*Good points about the sympathetic muscle response.
One of the major obstacles to overcome in achieving good grip and trigger press is isolating the trigger finger from other muscles in the forearm and hand to keep the hand from contracting and altering grip while pressing the trigger. Throw in a pressure switch fora flashlight and you are just asking for trouble.
As the author states "If you keep your booger hook off of the bang switch, the gun won’t go boom.", a really bad habit likely to be observed in 90% of LEO!
Combined with " And for the sake of everything that is sensible, good and righteous, don’t use your weapon mounted tactical light as a flashlight so that you can see things in the dark." and you have an instant recipe for disaster!

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In addition, I subscribe to "old time" flashlight use training from back in the days prior the high intensity compact LED flashlights we enjoy today when your six cell Streamlight was your flashlight of choice.
The flashlight is held in the weak hand, as far as the arm will extend, above your head and slightly forward of your body so as not to illuminate you. The old adage "bad guy shoot at light" was more or less conclusively proven and the objective was to keep your light source as far away from your body as possible. The "momentary" switch is used to turn the light on just long enough to obtain a sight picture and fire if necessary before turning it off and moving a few feet to present no target for return fire.

The advent of compact gun mounted flashlights radically altered this. Gun makers started adding rails to everything under the sun and the "gadget geek" will attach as many "tacticool" toys as he has rails for, without ever bothering to learn to use them correctly.
Yes, there is some advantage to many of these lights, particularly the "strobing" flashlight which is extremely bright and very disorienting. They do effectively prevent an opponent from looking directly back at you and they will totally disrupt his vision. There is a place for them on a "tacticool" long gun that requires both hands to hold.
I admit to tacking one onto my Highpoint carbine and "tacticool" shotgun and even adding a laser, however, I did not attach the pressure switch which could reach in close proximity to the trigger and any potential to operate it with the trigger hand. The thumb button on the rear is easily reached with the forward weak hand.
I won't stick one on a handgun in any circumstance and still rely on my trusty old Streamlight as the primary flashlight. Besides, a heavy Streamlght in the weak hand is a great club to bash someone at close distance if deadly force is not warranted and your strong had is occupied with your handgun.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I am not a fan of handgun mounted lights, their use violates the first rule of gun safety, never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy. I am also not a fan of the old arm extended carry. I prefer something like the Harries carry where you can point the pistol downwards while searching yet lift the muzzle when it is needed.

The old incandescent Mag lights and Streamlights make a nice baton, but the newer LED lights have so much more output that they are blindingly bright, adding another advantage to you in the dark. They still make longer bodied lights that can be used as improvised batons, but also have the advantage of the high output LED.

However, there are also the smaller lights as mentioned which can be easily carried daily, which are so bright that they can give the user an edge in the dark situations one might find oneself in, the movie theatre massacre perhaps? These lights are so very easily carried there is little reason not to. I carry a single cell Shining Beam I-Mini flashlight which is rated at 260 lumens. It has two bodies which allow me to switch from1 AA to 1CR123 battery, and it carries very easily in a pocket, or my favored place in the second pouch of a two mag pouch.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
When the media gets a hold of this story, I can see all kinds of new legislation which will be proposed. The media will make a big thing about police having lights on the weapons. The media will explain that the bullets need the flashlights on the guns so they can "see" the target and then fly and strike them. The next big fad will be to eliminate lights from the handguns as it makes them too deadly because the bullet can "see" where to travel. Eliminating the light will give the criminal a better chance of not being shot by the police officer because the bullet can't follow the light!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I use them. This is one story in how many years of gun mounted lights? At least 10, maybe more?!

A gun is nothing but a tool for self defense. The user is ultimately the start point. Nothing will happen without the user. I don't believe in the all or nothing of "don't point your gun at something you're not willing to destroy". I point with pens and knives and they can just as easily destroy. In the end I use my gun mounted flashlight so that I can have one hand free. For me it doesn't matter, if there is noise in my house at night it's automatically a trespass, burglary

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
89 Posts
if it's your daughter's boyfriend or gf, snuck in without your knowing, stumbling on the way to the bathroom, you'd better not fire, or even point a gun at him or her. and the home is not the only place you can need a gun, either. In your home, why not just turn on the lights, hmm? From cover, if you are worried? YOU are ready for it, the bad guy is not. Why tell him where you are, by using a flashlight, anyway?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,413 Posts
if it's your daughter's boyfriend or gf, snuck in without your knowing, stumbling on the way to the bathroom, you'd better not fire, or even point a gun at him or her. and the home is not the only place you can need a gun, either. In your home, why not just turn on the lights, hmm? From cover, if you are worried? YOU are ready for it, the bad guy is not. Why tell him where you are, by using a flashlight, anyway?
Bad (well - maybe bad) person may be between you and light switch. Real bright tactical light held to one side lights him up and blinds him, doesn't reveal your position to any great extent.

A "guest" who sneaks in and then stumbles loud enough to wake me - can take his or her chances on being frightened by having a gun pointed at them. NOT an offense to do that. If they lose sphincter control they can clean up after themselves, too.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
1) If I turn on the lights I can be seen as well.
2)The person can be between me and the light switch.
3) Pointing a gun doesnt automatically make it go off.
4) This is THE MOST IMPORTENT PART. I have NO KIDS. My GF IS NOT sneeking in in the middle of the night. a) I beleive in freinds with benefits over actual GFs. My dog sleeps in my room. My parents are not coming over at 3am. I do not beleive in Santa. There is NO POSSIBLE way that 3am laud noices are from anyone that is welcome

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So ...where is a lot of this coming from?
Watching a bunch of new shows on the boob tube, noticed a rather common theme in quite a few of them.
Despite being "futuristic", years ahead of our lifetimes, and space alien cultures (one would think ET would have brought something a little more sophisticated than old fashioned powder and lead)
Hollywood just can't seem to get away from the culture and use of the gun and so few shows are complete without guns and gunplay.

Scenes of someone "searching" with a flashlight mounted on a gun, be it handgun or long gun, with finger on the trigger everywhere. Just keeps continually popping up from show to show.
Seems Hollywood has adopted the gun mounted flashlight as a standard and everybody has to have one! Black plastic just looks so much more intimidating with accessories.
Muzzle awareness and trigger discipline totally lacking in just about every scene where you see some actor sweeping with one and lighting up and pointing at someone else, be they good guy, bad guy, or innocent bystander.

Monkey see ...monkey do ...
Small wonder the practice is rapidly creeping into the real gun culture with people lacking training and practice who rapidly adopt this as normal. After all, if you don't know any better or were never taught differently, you just assume this is normal and everybody does it.

And ... it spreads ...
New Jersey State Police Selects SureFire X300 Ultra As Standard-Issue Weaponlighthttp://soldiersystems.net/2014/06/1...refire-x300-ultra-standard-issue-weaponlight/

Not that I have yet seen any troopers sporting the gun mounted flashlight yet but expect to notice it soon. Some of the locals are already sporting such "accessories".
With the proclivity of LEO to point their guns at people, with finger on the trigger, it's only a matter of time before we are reading about an "oops!" in the LEO community.
The influence of TV and movies on real life practices of LEO has been detrimental for years with LEO picking up bad habits from the big screen rather than Hollywood picking up correct and good practices. Years ago, I got quite a laugh out of a few clowns who picked up the preying mantis chicken stalk dance, ala Hollywood, to enter a room. Monkey see ... monkey do!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I dont see how people think that pointing a gun at someone, especially an intruder, will instantly kill them. While cleaning my gun I had it pointed at the wall as I was taking it apart. However, right before I removed the mag and +1 I noticed that the gun failed to fire. I dont know if this is because the gun knows the difference between living and iinanimate objects. When I go to the range I just load the gun and lay it down and it instantly puts holes in paper.

How many instances have you read about where the light makes the gun go off? Dont count the same one being repeated over and over online! How many times? Now how many times was it used and nothing happened? Its like the people who bitch about Glock leg because they keep reading the same 4 or 5 stories. No one ever says how many thousands of people never had this happen. Its always the few stories people talk about

I want to know how the FBI hold work when they have to put the light down in order to have a free hand? Oh yea thats right they have backup. Someone else who can still hold the flashlight while the 1st guy uses his nadcuffs or his cell phone/radio or anything else. Guess I gotta get myself backup before I do anything else. This winter we were without power for a week. Pitch black from 4pm to 6am.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts