Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I find an old pee shooter that I just want to fix up a little I had used Gun-kote from Brownells but they don't have it anymore. They didn't drop the item from their inventory so it comes up on the screen but says "Out of Stock" and has been out of stock for what seems like a year. I was wondering if their Baking Lacquer was as good? I mostly use a gloss black and a matte black and wanted to know if it was as durable as the Gun-Kote? I've used Aluma-hyde II and it seems to be OK but a little mishandling can cause chips and scratches much easier than with gun-kote plus the Alumi-hyde is a thicker finish. Should I try the baking lacquer? I would like to stay in that price range so the other baking finishes are a bit too expensive for me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have you considered Rustoleum Appliance Enamel? Clean the metal, spray it on, let it dry, baking helps. Very durable.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I have used a lot of Alumhyde through the years. A few years ago I started baking it for about an hour at 175 degrees. When you bake it it is almost indestructible. Without the baking it is 'soft' for up to six months.

Dave

·
Silver Bullet member
48,440 Posts
Painted a refrigerator Rustoleum Appliance Enamel..black..my friend still, using it..looks same 9 years now..
ive gone through two more, and a freezer..( it was best I’ve own Wife didn’t like me painting it..)
and this year rebuild the shelving in the last New one,

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Painted a refrigerator Rustoleum Appliance Enamel..black..my friend still, using it..looks same 9 years now..
ive gone through two more, and a freezer..( it was best I’ve own Wife didn’t like me painting it..)
and this year rebuild the shelving in the last New one,
That is an interesting option for sure.

Dave

·
Silver Bullet member
48,440 Posts
I’m going to use it on black counter top next ..
she painted counter Top black with the recommended stuff..it’s a mess..
Do wife’s sadly deceased now ..
when I get brave enough ..

I’ll get a fan put in windows and pray and spray..
sprinklIng Gray Glitter flacks ..while wet copying her efforts....
before I paint cabinets..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gun-Kote has better, generalized "chemical resistance", than almost all alternatives.
That is one of my problems with the other stuff -- some gun cleaners contain chemicals that either wrinkle or remove paints. My problem is Brownells doesn't have gun-kote anymore so I was hoping for a reply as to weather their baking Lacquer was as tough. There is a company that is selling something called GK Gun-kote but it is expensive like the durakote and the pee shooter rifles I work on probably cost less. Guess I'll just buy some of the baking lacquer and see for myself.

Thanks for the replies,
Boomer

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Rustoleum Appliance Enamel is darn tough. We did some AK's with it. The wife has a pink one. I managed to get a Home Depot to tint a white quart of it. And through experimentation, I found the best thing to do is to add in some automotive paint hardener, spray with an air brush, let it dry and then bake it. Even the spray bomb stuff is very good. I use it for automotive uses, like suspension, etc. And it's cheap.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
KG Gunkote is the original finish that Brownell's sells a version of under their own name.
It's better then Brownell's version or Aluma-hyde.

You can buy KG Gunkote from Midway USA in baking or non-baking types.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=gunkote&userItemsPerPage=48

In order of durability and strength I'd put it at....
1. Cerakote
2. KG Gunkote or Lauer Duracoat.
3. Aluma-Hyde and most of everything else.

Note that with almost all gun "paint" type finishes, you get the best results with first bead blasting the surface to give the coating a "tooth" to bond into.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KG Gunkote is the original finish that Brownell's sells a version of under their own name.
It's better then Brownell's version or Aluma-hyde.

You can buy KG Gunkote from Midway USA in baking or non-baking types.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=gunkote&userItemsPerPage=48

In order of durability and strength I'd put it at....
1. Cerakote
2. KG Gunkote or Lauer Duracoat.
3. Aluma-Hyde and most of everything else.

Note that with almost all gun "paint" type finishes, you get the best results with first bead blasting the surface to give the coating a "tooth" to bond into.
Thanks for that list and Gun-kote has always worked best for my needs with the Aluma-hyde also doing a nice job. The big difference for me is the Gun-kote type finish after baking seemed to leave a finer finish that fit everything very sharp where aluma-hyde worked well but needed a curing time (I didn't know you could bake it) and left a slightly thicker finish but was way less resisitant to scratching than the gun-kote sold by Brownells. I thought about trying the Lauer Duracoat but the spray can type has a four week life span in the spray can since the hardener gets activated. I'm an old retired guy that does small parts and pieces as I find them. I don't have an air brush setup and have no need to buy one so I was a bit annoyed when I found I couldn't buy the Gun-kote from Brownells. I'll try the Brownells baking lacquer and hope that Brownells gets the Gun-kote back in the future.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
208 Posts
If i remember correctly, you can order direct from GunKote. Go to their website; the variety of products will amaze you. Retailers typically have just a small sample or what's possible. And, they're helpful with product advice if you need it. I asked for a color to closely replicate the green-ish look of vintage park and they were real helpful. I compared to my CMP Garand and it is nearly indistinguishable.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
I'll have to try that stuff. Can it be baked to finish the curing or is it an air cure type finish.
Edit to add: I found it at my local auto parts store a lot cheaper so I'll get some and try it.
It's air dried. But it's a pretty tough finish.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,343 Posts
When I find an old pee shooter that I just want to fix up a little I had used Gun-kote from Brownells but they don't have it anymore. They didn't drop the item from their inventory so it comes up on the screen but says "Out of Stock" and has been out of stock for what seems like a year. I was wondering if their Baking Lacquer was as good? I mostly use a gloss black and a matte black and wanted to know if it was as durable as the Gun-Kote? I've used Aluma-hyde II and it seems to be OK but a little mishandling can cause chips and scratches much easier than with gun-kote plus the Alumi-hyde is a thicker finish. Should I try the baking lacquer? I would like to stay in that price range so the other baking finishes are a bit too expensive for me.
Never knew Brownell's sold or labeled Gun Kote.
The do/ did label and sell Aluma- Hyde.

KG Industries still sells Gun Kote and they are the manufacturer of the product.
Sold is a few colors and shades of black etc.
AK Black as a nice deep black color and satin finish.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never knew Brownell's sold or labeled Gun Kote.
The do/ did label and sell Aluma- Hyde.

KG Industries still sells Gun Kote and they are the manufacturer of the product.
Sold is a few colors and shades of black etc.
AK Black as a nice deep black color and satin finish.
I really miss being able to buy Gun-Kote from Brownells. They still show it but it says something like Not Available or Out of Stock with No Back Orders. Brownells has not had any for maybe a year now. It might have been that their price was really fair and probably made it difficult for the Manufacturer to sell the same stuff. I went on the GK Industries site and can't make a connection between their products and what Brownells was selling. I e-mailed GK asking about that and hope to get an answer soon. I had tried to get Brownells to answer why they no longer sell gun-kote but they never replied. I'm going to try that VHT spray paint but only on test parts to see if it stands up to gun solvents.

I've used the Aluma-hyde II many times and it does do a good job but not as good as the Gun-Kote. The good part about Aluma-Hyde is it is easier to remove if it gets damaged and needs to be reapplied.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,343 Posts
VHT is not abrasion or scratch/scrape durable.

It is soft for heat tolerance and expansion and contraction but not very durable.

It goes on and lays down nicely but does not wear well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
VHT is not abrasion or scratch/scrape durable.

It is soft for heat tolerance and expansion and contraction but not very durable.

It goes on and lays down nicely but does not wear well.
Thanks for that reply -- it verifies what I found. I bought some from the local auto parts store to test and it is not a good gun finish. I'm waiting for a reply from both Brownells and GK Industries about the Gun-Kote finish. I'm not into spray equipment so the airbrush stuff is out and I believe Duracoat does come in a spray can but is a two part finish in a can and has a short shelf life. In my original post I asked about the Brownells baking Lacquer and I've not had a single reply about that. Maybe I should buy some and test that like I did with the VHT finish and see how it holds up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts