Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of rifle grease (For the metal parts) did the Finns use? How about the Soviets?

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
Just a WAG on my part, but considering the temperatures involved, I would think a very clean rifle. Most oils and greases tend to turn gummy at low temperatures.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
I recall reading that the Russians (and likely finns) didn't use grease in the winter because it would gum up or freeze. The German's on the other hand, had to learn this the hard way.

T

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Man.. I first read the title as grease gun... Here I was hoping for someone owning one and sharing pics.
I had a "lexiadys" moment as well and read the same thing as you. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

I have read, but do not know for a fact, that the Russians used sunflower oil due to a lower freeze point. I do know sunflowers were grown as a staple crop on the Steppes and valued for thier oil for other uses.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
lutefisk.

·
Administrator
3,429 Posts
I use the grease from my pork rinds and Cheeto's.

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,121 Posts
Finnish Army has been using in storaging thick deep brown grease called "English Gun grease". This was used until 1980s.

FDF has also been using normal commercial greases and one of them was Aero Shell Grease 7.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Finnish Army has been using in storaging thick deep brown grease called "English Gun grease". This was used until 1980s.

FDF has also been using normal commercial greases and one of them was Aero Shell Grease 7.
I would not recommend AeroShell for use around the house, but I can see why the FDF would choose it:
"AeroShell&Grease 7 is low temperature multipurpose aviation grease recommended for instruments and general airframe lubrication of turbine powered aircraft as well as highly loaded gears and actuator screw mechanisms.
It is made with synthetic diester base oil and a Microgel non-melting inorganic thickener, which provides a useful temperature range of -100° F (-73° C), to +300° F (+149° C)."

·
Registered
180 Posts
I thought the general rule was oil on bolt actions and grease on semi-auto's and auto's.........and the lower the temp the less you used.......almost missed a six pointer one time using a Saiga-12 because of that, it was so cold that morning the firing pin got stuck up in the bolt, had to rack the action three times before the gun would fire.......learned a lesson that day.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use the U.S. Rifle grease that comes in the little yellow topped tubs.

Scored a case that has something like 144 of those little things in it a couple years ago. I maybe have used 10 of them since. Works great on semi auto pistols and bolt guns too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts