Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. The Gulf Coast Military Show ended today and it was a blast. There were so many rare and cool pieces there I just couldn't stop looking around. I managed to pry these three Japanese pieces from a dealer for a combined total of $305. The officer's map case I think I overpaid at $160 but am not sure of that, the canteen I paid $100, and I paid $45 for the meatball flag made of cloth (or something close to it). Also the map case has one of the original pencils still in one of the pockets and according to the kanji under the flap it is attributed to an officer by the name of Major General Ono (not sure who this guy is really). I think it might have been his aide's or someone in his entourage but am also not sure. All in all with my small display of Japanese gear that I brought to the show for a display and these pieces I made out ok along with a French Indochinois bayonet and a Vietnam era Marine Corps backpack. Any comments are always welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
very nice haul and the Japanese map case is large so probably for General Officer, Colonel or higher carried larger ones with larger star sewn on, not bad, overall a nice haul at decent prices

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so it's what I thought about that map case being from someone in the major general's entourage. Sweet! Also while looking up the different map cases I saw that some with the same construction were classified as pre-ww2 to early ww2 examples. I'm not sure of that entirely. I do know that the leather shoulder strap is connected to the bag by a piece of leather at the top with holes in it and the pencil slots are on either side of the bag instead of on the front of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts