Gunboards Forums banner

Guesses on what bayonet this fellow is carrying?

971 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  whitecloud 
#1 ·
Hello Folks -

Guesses on what model bayonet this fellow is sporting? Photo is 1917 dated.

- Best Regards! Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like a VZ23 long (for VZ98/29) or FN1924 long with muzzle rings removed, but can't be either. In any case, that guy is not shy about showing off his stripes.

Didn't I see him on Hogan's Heroes?

Maybe it is not as long as it appears in the photo and is an Sg98/14.

#3 ·
Hi Geladen -

Have to say that was the first thing I thought too. However, here is the back of the card and it is dated September 18, 1917. Unless he had a time machine, gotta' be something else.

I thought perhaps an Sg14, but it looks too long for that, IMHO.

- Best Regards! Mike

Attachments

#4 ·
There is something about the photo that makes the scabbard look long. Maybe Sgt. Schultz is not only fat, but also short and fat.

If you take the overall handle length and divide the scabbard by the handle length, the scabbard seems too short for an FN1924 long and about right for an Sg89/14.

Added: Maybe Sgt. Schultz is really tiny and that is the reason his stripes are so big.

#5 ·
I'm thinking that it is a commercial dress bayonet, because the pommel appears to be the KS98 stylized "birdshead" type. The crosspiece is very thin, compared to a service bayonet. Some KS98 dress variants had a thin crosspiece with no lower fingerguard. The blade is certainly longer than 250 cm., however, dress bayonets varied a lot. I'm not a dress bayonet person, but those are my observations.

#6 ·
It looks to me like the bird's head you see is just a trick of shadow. The top of the bayonet (end of pommel) appears to be flat.

#11 ·
It could be only pionier version as there is no crossguard longer part, same the pommel is no eagle head, the blade lenght is probably important , dont saw 30cm long blades, when the handgrip is 130mm the 2x lenght of blade remain a 4cm to 30cm, the grips looks like wood? not chequered? it could be walking out bayonet but only in SG84/98 manner not as KS98.

#12 ·
It's an S14 most probably made by Bayard.
Only Bayard and Samsonwerk made ones have that reinforcement where the pommel meets the tang (visible when blowing up the photo). Samsonwerk made ones have a round upper part of the top of the pommel, the Bayard one that was made in Belgium during WW1, had an flatter kind of FN1924 shaped pommel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.