Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend and fellow Board member brought his Laptop to the Franklin TN show. He has a friend in Australia who's made several trips to G'canal and sent him photos. There's a junk dealer on the island that buys scrap from the islanders. Many of the photos were taken in the junk yard and the contents are unbelievable! Items ranged from plane engines and fuselage parts to Type 100 grenade launchers and the shields used with the Nambu lights to protect the gunner. The number of foreign MGs and rifles was amazing.

There were several shots of Bloody Ridge and other geographical areas any student of the G'canal battles would recognize. One series of photos were taken when the Aussy went back in the boonies and the items he found, this was a year or so back. (?) Hopefully this CD/DVD will be available for purchase in the near future.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,504 Posts
Yeah, I follow his trips on his website. Fascinating stuff! It always depresses me though when he shows pictures of how things are getting developed... The Ilu sand-bar is now a soccer field, or something like that, and they are building a bar on the banks of the Ilu River.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Or a link to his site?

·
Silver Bullet Member
678 Posts
Hi there,

There are two scrap yards that I know of on Bougainville. I know one of the operators and the forky in the other yard.
They have some good stuff go out as well.
Had a wee yarn to my forky friend and he was counting the dollars he had missed out on. What these guys don't realise is that these items have more value than their scrap value.

The irony is that at least in PNG it is all labelled as "Heritage" and is illegal to take out of the country unless accompanied with a permit from the National Museum in Port Moresby.
Yet it is all going out as scrap and no one as much as blinks an eye lash.

This is not helped very much by the attitude of some of the locals that would "even sell their mother for a few cents". I was infuriated to even discovered a bronze US Navy survey marker at the top of Pok Pok Island in the middle of Kieta Harbour had been dug up for a price of 10 toea (3 - 4c US) a kilo. It just doesn't stop there, the plaques of memorials also meet the same fate.

Fortunately the scrappies haven't got as far as Torokina or Buin to my knowledge due to the state of the road network.

I can give contact details for the scrappies if anyone is interested.

On another front I have local contacts that want to see it stay where it is. All that is needed is awareness of the importance of WWII relics and the benefits from the likes of tourism etc.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts