Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already sold on locating a Romanian and/or a Harrington and Richardson Model 365 trainer for plinking, but I've been lurking around the GSG rifles for a long time. Wondering if they are worth the price regarding quality and performance or am I getting a large potential headache due to all the polymer?

TIA

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I got one 4 or 5 years ago, when the price finally dropped to something more reasonable; 300 and ATI had a mail-in 50 dollar rebate, so it was 250 :D......

they are definitely a "hoot to shoot" not to mention the "kewl" factor :), thing weights 10 Lbs. it's a hefty puppy, just about the weight of the real one. it's not made of polymer, it's made from a alloy, I think it's called zimac or something like that

I never had one problem with it, and very accurate, as long as there is no wind :)....... you definitely need to shoot high velocity rounds, it doesn't like standard .22; doesn't cycle the bolt.

loading the mags is a pain, especially high capacity, but that goes for all .22s. I fixed that problem; I modified a existing McFadden AR .22 adapter to load a 44, now I don't b&tch about loading a 24 round mag

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about the high velocity rounds, I havent brought mine out of the gunsafe after its first two trips where it failed to feed over and over again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Bought one of the mcfadden .22 loaders for my cmmg ar .22 upper. Fills black dog mags in a snap. I do wish that had used a better grade of plastic. I’m so afraid that I’ll drop it and it will disintegrate. Had a thought of trying to mill one of the halves out of teflon or even aluminum since I have a mini mill but haven’t yet. I looked at the Stg44 a few years ago and it is kewl but didn’t want to get sucked into the wormhole of more $$$ mags for only one rifle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had one for a few years, never gave me any trouble, It is heavy, the idea was it's supposed to mimic an original STG44 in size, weight and appearance, which it does pretty well.I haven't shot mine in awhile, might be time to dust it off. Funny when I bought mine, I paid $275 for the gun in the fancy wooden case that was made to look like a nazi weapons crate, They had just the rifle for $375 -- I said to the sales guy, I think your prices are backwards, he checked the computer and swore the prices were correct, So I said give me the cheaper one. I'm pretty sure to this day, somebody screwed up, but it wasn't me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have one. I’ve never have any issues with mine. It’s shot pretty much every ammo brand I’ve tried. I have this giant 7-8k round tub of 22 of mixed brands and it even shot fine when I loaded the mags from that. It’s a pretty cool reproduction with a lot of effort to get the look and weight of a real STG. The only downsides I would mention is it can be a little hard to dial in the iron sights with the levels of adjustments the rear sight has and it’s god awful heavy for off hand 22lr shooting, but neither are a huge deal.

Oh and the gun has pretty much no polymer except the mags and a few small parts. It’s all made out of an alloy with the important parts being steel.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info all. My bad on the polymer, I think I knew it was an alloy but brain farted. The mag was definitely a huge concern and that is keeping me on the fence.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Funny when I bought mine, I paid $275 for the gun in the fancy wooden case that was made to look like a nazi weapons crate, They had just the rifle for $375 -- I said to the sales guy, I think your prices are backwards, he checked the computer and swore the prices were correct, So I said give me the cheaper one. I'm pretty sure to this day, somebody screwed up, but it wasn't me.
if you bought it several years ago, like I did, they didn't screw up...........after the ohhhhhh, ohhhhhhh I gotta have it crowd bought them out for 700 bucks, just so they can boost on the net about being the first kids on the block to get one, ATI was sitting on a warehouse full of them and they weren't moving.....not at those prices. which is why I didn't jump in with the other stupid people that shelled out that much money for a .22.

they finally dropped the price down to where it was reasonable.........and still weren't moving out fast enough, so they offered a 50 dollar rebate....and that is when they were selling like gang buster.

if you recall, the GSG MP5 .22 was the same way, after the morons paid 700 bucks for one, the novelty wore off and they weren't moving so ATI had to drop the prices on those as well

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
.after the ohhhhhh, ohhhhhhh I gotta have it crowd bought them out for 700 bucks,

they finally dropped the price down to where it was reasonable.........and still weren't moving out fast enough, so they offered a 50 dollar rebate....and that is when they were selling like gang buster.

if you recall, the GSG MP5 .22 was the same way, after the morons paid 700 bucks for one, the novelty wore off and they weren't moving so ATI had to drop the prices on those as well

I paid around 675.00 for mine in August 2012, but they had just hit the US market.

Prices dropped over the years but as I understand it......GSG isn't making the STG44 22lr anymore and the prices have gone up since then. I saw several selling for 5-700 last month.

Go under sold auctions at Gunbroker, and you can seen what they've been fetching...........new and used.

·
Registered
440 Posts
They were $325 in the spring and I recently saw them on the internet for $399. If you have any cool modern military semis it's very cool to have a ringer for the grandpappy of the breed.

A buddy got one last spring; he took it and the grandkids out to the back 40. I think he said there were 25 rounds or so left from a brick. :D

Magazines are unobtanium. If anyone has the secret formula please message me.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I paid around 675.00 for mine in August 2012, but they had just hit the US market.
675, 700 it's still in the ball park............there was no fricken way I was going to lay out that much cash for a .fricken 22, no matter how "kewl" they looked. I knew that sooner or later they will come down in price, just like the GSG MP5 did after the novelty of something new on the market worn itself down and they weren't moving. I wasn't in that much of a all fired hurry to get one, just so I could boost I got one on gun boards :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the info all. My bad on the polymer, I think I knew it was an alloy but brain farted. The mag was definitely a huge concern and that is keeping me on the fence.
The mags shouldn't hold you back if you want one. I can't say they are any better or worse than most other .22LR mags

I bought mine years ago for about $350 IIRC.

Just couldn't leave it alone -

Some more STG chat here - Stg44 22lr Stumgewehr accuracy range test

·
Registered
5,994 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Got one, think I bought in at the mid point of price reduction.
Bought extra mags at the same time.
Mine runs fine on almost anything I put in it.
Accuracy is so-so but this is difficult to judge.
The long mags make benching difficult and the weight makes off hand tiresome.

They look good and always draw a crowd at the range but if all you are looking for is a high capacity blaster other selections might fill the bill a bit better and cheaper.
S&W M&P15-22 comes to mind, big mags, lightweight and relatively cheap (I got mine for under $200, used).
Of course, everyone is gonna go "Meh......." at the range but so what?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Latest news on the STG is that ATI no longer imports them, and Blue Line USA picked them up as the "Mauser STG44" -

Scroll down a bit - Mauser Rimfire - Blue Line USA

Someone posted a photo of a STG .22 mag in their packaging, but I can't find it on their site. Might be in the online catalog.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got one, think I bought in at the mid point of price reduction.
Bought extra mags at the same time.
Mine runs fine on almost anything I put in it.
Accuracy is so-so but this is difficult to judge.
The long mags make benching difficult and the weight makes off hand tiresome.
(SNIP)
I also made a few modifications to make it handier at the range -

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Latest news on the STG is that ATI no longer imports them, and Blue Line USA picked them up as the "Mauser STG44" -

Scroll down a bit - Mauser Rimfire - Blue Line USA

Someone posted a photo of a STG .22 mag in their packaging, but I can't find it on their site. Might be in the online catalog.
Was going to ask about Blue Line, hell can't find one anyway. All part of the fun of the hunt...I guess.

·
Registered
440 Posts
mags are not "unobtanium" and there is no "secret formula" for finding them, use a search engine,
found this at the top page of my search

Lockhart Tactical | Military and Police Discounts up to 60% OFF - German Sport Guns STG 44 Twenty Five 25 Round Magazine

another one

GSG "Schmeisser" STG 44 25 Round Magazine - Lanz Shooting Supplies
Oh yay I was hoping for exactly that snarky response! Ordered, including two for my buddy and his grandkids with their itchy trigger fingers.

Seriously, when I want looking last spring they were unobtanium, to the point where some guy was offering at $100 on ebay and warning,"It will only get worse."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts