Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 03 bug bit me again, but this time in an annoying way. I found a really presentable RIA 03 (low number), WW2 or post-WW2 rebuilt with a scant stock (SAA cart.) and low-hump (presumably WW2 contractor) handguard. Barrel not sure of maker, as I am just judging from pics.

In one pic, I noticed the darned drill-purpose /de-ac hole through the handguard top, and immediately requested the seller take off the handguard and examine - sure enough, it WAS drilled, but some goofball repaired it (and thankfully probably did not shoot it).

After this, the seller asked me to make an offer, and I have, awaiting his response.

GOOD side is the action is flawless RIA. Bolt is either Remington or B&S replacement. Triggerguard IS milled SA or RIA (not "fat" like most Rem ones). Stock IS nice, and all sights are correct and intact.

So, oh gurus (Rick etc), how much hard earned Kangaroo bucks is it going to cost for a DECENT barrel (HS etc fine), MAYBE a proper RIA bolt, and definately a fingergroove S stock? (failing that, one of the nice Keystone C's (if avail. still) or repro fingergroove S or C)

I am sure I can at least make this once proud girl a shooter (yes, I know the dangers, I do not need a lecture / sermon)

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now, this thread is useless without pics, so...

Just noticed the sheared-off rear sight slide tension screw and the later windage wheel - more to replace :D And the cartouche is AAS not SAA

But, the action looks pretty sweet IMHO

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rick. Posted a comprehensive wanted ad on the trader :D

Actually thinking of a Kokalis repro set. Prefer genuine, but chances are getting remoter for a nice set.

Just need a barrel and rear sight slide tension screw to get her back into shootable, and then work on the rest.

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick and Bob,

I will be purchasing a FG S, handguard, SA 29 barrel, straight DHT bolt and the sight parts I need from a very friendly gentleman :D :) As such, the bolt I have there now is irrelevant as it will just be kept as spares, but yes, it is a B&S.

Seems par for this course to rebuild 03's here since most we have are either shot out, ex-Vietnam (crappy storage), ex-Philippines, or ex-drill rifles like this one (ALWAYS in great condition before they dewated the barrel :( )

I enjoy it though. Maybe even get a C stock as a shooter, since it will wear an SA 1929 barrel :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.