Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 03 bug bit me again, but this time in an annoying way. I found a really presentable RIA 03 (low number), WW2 or post-WW2 rebuilt with a scant stock (SAA cart.) and low-hump (presumably WW2 contractor) handguard. Barrel not sure of maker, as I am just judging from pics.

In one pic, I noticed the darned drill-purpose /de-ac hole through the handguard top, and immediately requested the seller take off the handguard and examine - sure enough, it WAS drilled, but some goofball repaired it (and thankfully probably did not shoot it).

After this, the seller asked me to make an offer, and I have, awaiting his response.

GOOD side is the action is flawless RIA. Bolt is either Remington or B&S replacement. Triggerguard IS milled SA or RIA (not "fat" like most Rem ones). Stock IS nice, and all sights are correct and intact.

So, oh gurus (Rick etc), how much hard earned Kangaroo bucks is it going to cost for a DECENT barrel (HS etc fine), MAYBE a proper RIA bolt, and definately a fingergroove S stock? (failing that, one of the nice Keystone C's (if avail. still) or repro fingergroove S or C)

I am sure I can at least make this once proud girl a shooter (yes, I know the dangers, I do not need a lecture / sermon)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
3,090 Posts
Hi, Vulch,

Good to hear from you again! I trust you are back in a place more friendly (or less-hostile) to firearms than you were a couple of years ago when we heard from you last?

Naturally, I can only use U.S. prices. I have no idea what it would cost in Aussie bucks. I've seen them on eBay (if they still alloow them or some of the other auction places for $150-200 and up. Naturaly, a lot depends of muzzle erosion, pitting, etc.

OK, no sermons on shooting LN M1903s!!:rolleyes:

·
Silver Bullet member
221 Posts
Just noticed the scant stock is NOT 03A3 ring cut - does this make it SA production stock? (less common???)

A qualified "yes". Should also have a small letter "s" in the cutoff mortice. Not as common as the post-A3 contractor stocks, but not "rare", either.

I have a high-number RIA in the same sort of stock, B&S bolt, SA 1942 barrel. No bits missing, and as-new bore. Tack-driver.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

·
Silver Bullet member
221 Posts
Lewis:

Rick should probably answer this one ... but IIRC, RIA never made "bent", or "swept" bolt handles. The "bend" or "sweep" that SA put in their bolts was a production convenience ... dunno why RIA didn't feel it was necessary. I need to check my serial number, I think it is pretty close to yours; and I think these were in the range that were not assembled at RIA, but rather sent to SA and eventually made into complete rifles there. As such, the presence of a RIA bolt would be "accidental".

Resp'y,
Bob S.

·
3,090 Posts
Bob is mostly right - RIA made a relative handful of DHT bolts that had curved handles - all with NS on the bottom of the safety lug. They made quite a few that were DHT but had straight handles.

What's the marking on the bolt, Vulch??

Again, good to see you show up. Been wondering what has happened to you over the last couple of years!

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick and Bob,

I will be purchasing a FG S, handguard, SA 29 barrel, straight DHT bolt and the sight parts I need from a very friendly gentleman :D :) As such, the bolt I have there now is irrelevant as it will just be kept as spares, but yes, it is a B&S.

Seems par for this course to rebuild 03's here since most we have are either shot out, ex-Vietnam (crappy storage), ex-Philippines, or ex-drill rifles like this one (ALWAYS in great condition before they dewated the barrel :( )

I enjoy it though. Maybe even get a C stock as a shooter, since it will wear an SA 1929 barrel :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
3,090 Posts
I would like to find a certified ex-Philippine M1903. I had a gentleman in the Philippines that had a low numbered RIA M1903 he was willing to sell. I checked with U.S. BATF and possible importers and they said that a certain former U.S. president (what WAS his name????) signed legislation preventing any individual importation of former U.S. military rifles - even 90-year old ones. Rats!!

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Wasn't that the guy who might end as "First Laddie" if we all don't quite moaning and b*tching and go out and vote?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts