Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Always interesting and educational around here. I discovered what 03man said to be true about solid backgrounds, and what krinko said about white backgrounds as well. For me right now and not having a sophisticated light set-up, I prefer something tan or earthy for a background color - blue would be fine if I could fine something blue - but no afghans or busy patterns to distract from the rifle.

I do find rifles much more difficult subjects than handguns. Must be the different hued stocks, larger sizes, shadows, etc. previously mentioned by 03man.

If I were attempting pics for something professional like a book I would try for some really clean background materials, but I also think there is nothing wrong with a little texture in the background for casual shots. Some of the nicest shots I have seen on the boards were backgrounded by army blankets and bits of kit like Denison smocks, holsters and lanyards, ponchos and so forth. I really like those and would like to snap a few when I get some more bits of kit assembled.

Here's one taken by one of the moderators here on the K98 board and over at the G/K43 Forum, Hambone, of an Enfield No. 2 Mk I and some kit, just click on the link inside when opened:

http://gk43forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829

Here's one he took of Enfields and handguns, with bits of kit like Denison, jerkin, etc. I like this kind of pic and think they're fun and show the context of the rifle well.

http://gk43forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79

And here's an example of a busy background shot that I took that was a learning experience, and below a more recent one.

In this one, I experimented with angling the top Garand a bit to reduce glare. It is less washed out than the Garand in the middle. This is still a trial and error process for me, but I enjoy tinkering with the photos and guns and trying to get a good one snapped.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
backgrounds

Clyde,
great illustration of backgrounds, that one on top almost makes me dizzy.

If you pull those wrinkles out of the blanket, it would be a very good background.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts