·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
grip screw question

Topic author: mkamer
Subject: grip screw question
Posted on: 08/28/2006 01:08:08 AM
I pulled the Hogue slip on off my Russian IJ70 tonight and learned there is no grip screw. First time I've pulled the grip off in the year I've had the Mak. From pics I've seen in other posts it looks like I have E. German black grips. Which screw do I need to get?

Replies:

Reply author: steve98664
Replied on: 08/28/2006 01:45:07 AM
I'm surprised you don't pull your grips off after each use to clean. I definitely pull my off each pistol each time. Was there a lot of powder residue build up in your grip? I don't use degreaser chemicals on the grips, just clp or oil to wipe away the residue.

I just purchased an IJ70 so I can let you know when it arrives which screw it is. Mak dot com has them for sale I believe, both types. Numrichs probably has them too. I just assumed it would be the longer type head screw since Mak dot com mentions the only ones with the flatter screw head are some of the EG's.

My new IJ70 has black grips with a star and lanyard loop (I think) even though it is the commercial pistol.

Reply author: Teakwood
Replied on: 08/28/2006 06:33:54 AM
There are two versions of the EG military grips.
The early version takes the same fluted screw that the red star and Baikal grips do.
The "new style" grip takes a unique wide-headed screw.

If you post a pic of the back-side of the grip, we may be able to figure out which you have.
Better still, measure the diameter of the opening at the back of the grip.

Reply author: mkamer
Replied on: 08/29/2006 12:35:40 AM
Teakwood - thanks for the suggestion. I'll measure and let you know.

Replied on: 08/30/2006 10:48:27 PM
Teakwood - I just measured opening at back of grip. It is just barely under 1/2 inch. I'm thinking that would be the wide head screw (which would make sense on my EG grips). Maybe this is a dumb question, but will a screw made for EG grips thread correctly with a Russian IJ70?

Reply author: Teakwood
Replied on: 08/31/2006 06:22:58 AM
The thread sizes are the same for all Makarovs: 5mm

There are differences between head sizes and screw lengths between some of the grips.
However, the fluted head screw that fits a red star will also fit a Baikal, the older East German, and some others.

Screws for thumbrest grips can vary considerably in length. One can always make a grip screw from a standard metric screw with 5mm pitch. I have used socket head and pan/cheese head screws from the hardware store as replacement grip screws on different grips.

Replied on: 09/06/2006 11:37:19 PM
Teakwood - just got my EG grip screw from makarov.com today and put it on. Perfect fit. I'm a happy camper. Love the EG grip. Can't believe how much better the pistola feels in my hand without those palm swells from the Hogue slip on. Thanks for your help. (Now I just need to luck out and find a Makawrap.)

BTW - makarov.com once again proved itself. Super fast shipping. Also got one of the nylon IWB holster with thumb break they sell for $11.00. Great holster for the money.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts