Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

I recently purchased a set of red "star" grips with the thumb rest which were recently on sale online for $4.95 for my E.German Mak.

Well they arrived...without the screw and the E.German screw (newer type) would not fit.

Sooooooo........I ordered one of the older style screws and guess what......it didn't fit either.

The grips look great but are useless w/o the screw. I purchased a 5/32 inch screw at Home Depot and trimmed it down and it fit but it is silver and looked like %$#@. Suppose I could paint it.....

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
174 Posts
awhile back i had similar frustration while replacing grips.

my solution was to pull out a couple different grips/guns and swap them around until i got all grips/guns combinations to work.

by the way what i was doing was putting those sleek, thin black german grips on all of my maks

this may not work for your situation but if the opportunity presents itself give that a try

·
Gold Bullet Member
533 Posts
10-32 machine screw is the english ( close enough ) equal to the Makarov Metric thread ( 5mm I think ). so I don't understand the 5/32 in. reference. :confused:

I've used 10-32 allen head machine screws with a black oxide finish, about 3/8" or so long , in the past for grip screws . I think you could also burn the cad plate off a silver screw with a propane torch or something and paint black.

The second and third sections of this link should explain the screw that is needed.
Tips and Tricks
and
Grip Screws

http://www.makarov.com/tech.html

---------

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,261 Posts
My experience with the red star thumbrest grips is that the ones that came on Chinese and East German PMs work wonderfully. The ones that CDNN sell are a pain in the patootie to get to work. Did you get the grip seated properly? The CDNN ones I've handled wouldn't position correctly without some work.

SlimTim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
makarovdotcom:

The screw you refered to is the one that came with the EG grip. I did NOT receive a screw with the Red Star grip I purchased and ASSUMED I needed the other type [like the one in the right of the pic you sent] but it did not fit either.

Steve M:

I meant 10-32...

I'll try the 10-32, 3/8 and see how we do.

SlimTim:

The grips seated a little tight and did not seem to go as far fwd as the EG's. Any thots?

Thanks guys.

PaulD

·
Gold Bullet Member
533 Posts
Wow, good info. on plated screws Steve M. Sounds like you have some experience in plating and dipping things. :rolleyes:

I pick up a lot of Makarov gunsmith'in ideas from watching "JunkYard Wars" on TV. :D

Actually I think it was a tip posted on one of the older versions of the Makarov Forum, Century at one time used a Cad Plated grip screw on the Bulgie import grips, The black sharpie works good , but would rub off right away.
Someone posted the torch idea and paint black with touch-up paint.
It worked for me, remember to remove screw from grips before firing up the torch. :eek: :D

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,261 Posts
The grips seated a little tight and did not seem to go as far fwd as the EG's. Any thots?
CDNN sells those grips for $4.95 for a reason. My inclination is to get rid of them. If you are specifically seeking a thumbrest grip, try finding one of the German Maks that were imported with one, it will be a bit darker in color, those work fine. If you aren't specifically wanted a thumbrest grip, just go with the normal red star grip, all of those seem to work well.

SlimTim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.