Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted these pics on (2) other threads but for those who did not see that posting, I'm including pics and looking for assistance in identifying this complete scope mount/rings and possibly help date it.

The mount is aluminum but the area of the levers is steel. The levers have the traditional "bent outward" configuration of M1C mounts intended to lock/unlock the mount from the base and swing clear of the rings. The rings are T-2, 7/8". Looking from the underside, there is a stop screw under the front ring but no screw or hole under the rear ring.

It appears this G&H mount was made specifically for the "T" type rings. Any ideas?

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,719 Posts
I would like to see the opposite end and the bottom. I think someone has taken a Commercial (blue & marking) mount and has machined it to take the Stith type rings. Could it be a prototype as you suggest, sure, but would need something substantial to support that theory. Even with a small hobby milling machine it would literally take me an hour or so to replicate the mount from a commercial mount. Like my "wish it is a SS Sniper rifle," I think you are wishing it is something it isn't. Someone else may chime in a change my mind. Skid

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not wishing anything, Skid. Just putting it out there for comment and observation of something I've never seen before.

The one thing that puzzles me is that the underside has no rear hole for a scope ring. All G&H mounts I have seen have (2) holes on each side for the ring stud. This one does not have that. So "hobby milling" seems to not be substantiated. Also, look at the "Z" shaped cut at the ring. It looks identical to the USMC's 1952 mount's cut.

If you still want an underside look, I can get that to you. I can remove the rings also if you want to see the "hobby cut"! ;)

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other difference I noticed was the "outward" configured levers. They look to be intentionally positions and shaped to swing clear of a non-cantilevered ring. The outward configured levers are usually on the all steel M1C G&H mounts, but never on the aluminum cantilevered ring types that I have ever seen.

I don't know anything about this G& H mount other than the gent I got it from knew the T-2 rings were hard to come by…no other assertion was made by him.

Jim

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, I removed the T-2 rings, here is what was found:

NO holes on either side for the traditional, cantilevered rings…NADA! It is a plan, undrilled mount with dove tail ends.

Consequently, the mount is definitively not "hobbied". It is made for dovetailed rings…undisputedly. (Unless the hobby master also has the Griffin & Howe patent stamp!)

Go figure!

It seems until someone with knowledge on this particular mount chimes in, it will remain a mystery. I'd say that makes it "unique" at the least, wouldn't you say?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I contacted G&H….it appears this IS a side mount scope base, similar to the original USMC G&H scope base and made early 1950's. According to G&H, it was made for use with "T-1, 2, 3 & 4" scope rings. It's intended use was for stripper clip military rifles, "presumably M1's".

Viola! Now I know….;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts