Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved the Walther P-38 but was not aware it was ever made in .45acp. Have learned of one for sale but I'm not sure what current value it might have. SVW stamped, complete with holster, etc..

Am auctioning off my vintage .22rf collection so thought this might be an item to replace my grief from giving up my "babies" for adoption...

Anyone know anything about these Nazi beasties? Seller says it's in good condition, and I'm told it's all original.
How much would be fair? :?

Thanks for any info.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You must be looking at a John Martz or some other gunsmith job. Or someone may have heard about a P-38 SVW45 which refers to "1945" and not "45 ACP". As far as I know, the late grey ghost finish guns were never made in 45ACP.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the interesting comments. However, I found a very informative history of the .45acp P-38s complete with numerous great photos, written by a gent I've run across on other gun forums. Seems he has his own similar website as this one. He also had several responses to his posting from other owners of such .45acp P-38s.

No help from that forum on current values. Author said he paid $250 for his pictured, at a pawn shop, and as for prices one can expect, he simply commented, "shazam!"

Guess I'll just play it buy ear. If I can end up with it I'll try to post pics of it.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,486 Posts
I have seen a number of claims for examples produced in .45 ACP, all indicating experimental models. The 1939 Stoeger catalog supposedly announded that P-38s would be available in .45 ACP, 38 Super, and .22LR, but of course that never happened.

Walther Forum has a photo of an MP indicating it is in .45. Possible, i suppose, but I'll confess scepticism on that one.

A factory P-38 in .45 ACP would be an example of an extraordinarily scarce experimental variation and would command an equally extraordinary price. If the real thing.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,303 Posts
They do exist. A very few of the forerunners of the P38 were made in 45 acp. I saw one go at auction a few years ago for an amount in excess of $150,000. A couple of "very' advanced Walther collectors Not me - I just watched) were bidding on it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
They do exist. A very few of the forerunners of the P38 were made in 45 acp. I saw one go at auction a few years ago for an amount in excess of $150,000. A couple of "very' advanced Walther collectors Not me - I just watched) were bidding on it.
Yes, there were a very few experimental models made, but I wouldn't think any that would fall into the late grey ghost category.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Wartime?????????? I have read of a couple 30 Lugers for test trials in 1938, but they went with the 9mm and stuck with it throughout WWII. Man, there might a couple, and I mean a couple prototypes made in .45acp, but finding one with a latewar slide made for .45, impossible. Sorry.

Dave

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,486 Posts
The P 38 was manufatured in

22lr , 38 auto , 9mm , 30 Luger

and 45 acp .

FIVESHOT
I would take issue with the "manufactired in" all of those chamberings. At least until after WII and the resumption of commercial production. 7.65 Parabellum (.30 Luger) and .22 LR were produced then, apparently discontinued c.1989. The pre-War/Pre-P38 HP was apparently produced in 7.65 and 9mm and announced in .45 ACP, .38 Super and .22 LR, but whether any were actually produced for sale rather than as test/experiemntal items seems problematic.

i would judge that there were no .45 ACP examples turned out other than tool-room samples pre-war and that the P-38 would not be a satisfactory .45.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,303 Posts
Was that an actual production item, or something announced as planned, with maybe a few proof-of-concept guns from the tool-room?
A number of weapons were produced before the war, but -- in my knowledge which could be wrong, they were in different model designations - basically the forerunners of the P38.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.