Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was bidding on this one as I don't have a 4th series Nagoya. I stopped when I asked the seller a question about the receiver serial number and got no reply. here is a link. it looks like the last number may have been a 7 and than restamped to a 3 so to make it all matching?????http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=421822711

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Without it in my hands to see it's a tough call. Botched serial numbers show up frequently on Nagoya 99's. But I don't think it was a super nice gun. 4th series rifles are very common it M&M condition. Keep looking. Find a no excuses piece.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,236 Posts
was bidding on this one as I don't have a 4th series Nagoya. I stopped when I asked the seller a question about the receiver serial number and got no reply. here is a link. it looks like the last number may have been a 7 and than restamped to a 3 so to make it all matching?????http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=421822711
Surf, you've got a point. There may have been a "7" there initially, or there may have been a tilted lightly stamped "3" in place prior to a restamp. The "3" though is in the proper font. It is difficult to correctly fake (oxymoron, I reckon) the numbering on weapons, and this is a case where the "3" looks pretty good.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
The "3" does look correct. But, there is a "7" there as well. Considering the source, I'd be leery.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, the search will continue. to complete my collection I still need a 4th, 7th, 12th(good luck), 33rd, izawa 4th, howa 9th and a 45th(good luck ). I have at least one example of all the other standard t-99 series rifles, all completely numbers matching and mummed. some with dc's, some without.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,719 Posts
I know I am going to kick myself for this. surfnhogan, I think you over thought it and missed out on a nice rifle. As with others the 3 looks fine to me, if you want to imagine a 7 fine, but I think it was just a bounce on the 3. Besides, not including the sling & rod, the rifle was only about $450, fair price, plus a lot of guys like the battle damage. Plus with over 13,500 positive feedbacks I would be surprised if he had the time to find a rifle 4 digits off of a bolt and then restamp the rifle! Add to that a 3 day return offer if not satisfied ?? Come on, is that really why you did not bid on it? Just my 2 cents - Skid

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,356 Posts
Another mystry surrounding this seller is the fact that he auctions off some nice individual components. I recently saw a 99 mummed receiver/barrell with an opening bid of $10. I know there have been claims that he cobbles together rifles and/or restamps parts and I have no idea if this is the case of not. But if some folks believe that is indeed the case than why would he part with a nice action for a relatively low price as opposed to making a frankenstein piece, restamping the various parts to match and then selling it for $14,000 to one of his loyal buyers?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The "3" does look correct. But, there is a "7" there as well. Considering the source, I'd be leery.
More than just that. You'd be giving money to further his shady business!

Another mystry surrounding this seller is the fact that he auctions off some nice individual components. I recently saw a 99 mummed receiver/barrell with an opening bid of $10. I know there have been claims that he cobbles together rifles and/or restamps parts and I have no idea if this is the case of not. But if some folks believe that is indeed the case than why would he part with a nice action for a relatively low price as opposed to making a frankenstein piece, restamping the various parts to match and then selling it for $14,000 to one of his loyal buyers?
It would be safe to assume he would have more barreled actions than stocks thanks to bubba.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have purchased items from the seller before and have been satisfied, but before I do buy anything from anybody I do my homework and use all my reference material and take advice from some of the distinguished board members who generously offer their advice on value and authenticity on items i'm bidding on. that being said i'm just a little more cautious with this seller, that's all.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,719 Posts
Lets see, 13,559 positive experiences and 15 negatives in over 12 years. 3 day inspection return. What am I missing, you really think all those 13,559 people who bought something didn't know what they were doing? I agree with contacting the seller, I always do, I don't care who it is! A would be disappointed also without a response. Don't know him, never bought anything from him, just my 2 cents. Skid

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Lets see, 13,559 positive experiences and 15 negatives in over 12 years. 3 day inspection return. What am I missing, you really think all those 13,559 people who bought something didn't know what they were doing? I agree with contacting the seller, I always do, I don't care who it is! A would be disappointed also without a response. Don't know him, never bought anything from him, just my 2 cents. Skid
Not all those sales were of Japanese items so I can't speak to those but if you've seen the stuff discussed here it's pretty obvious that lots of folks have been ripped off by this guy and probably still don't know it. Many are blinded by the "daisy"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts