Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nope, but rifles designated to fire grenades usually have crappy barrels because they weren't cared for like normal rifles. As long as it isn't completely plugged, a blank will still push the grenade out of the cup.

There is a lot more stress on the rifle shooting a grenade than shooting a bullet (I have a Yugo M59/66 A1 with grenade launching blanks and a Serbian practice grenade). That is why they reinforced them.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, but rifles designated to fire grenades usually have crappy barrels because they weren't cared for like normal rifles. As long as it isn't completely plugged, a blank will still push the grenade out of the cup.

There is a lot more stress on the rifle shooting a grenade than shooting a bullet (I have a Yugo M59/66 A1 with grenade launching blanks and a Serbian practice grenade). That is why they reinforced them.
The one I had shot aces and it had a perfect bore. It would shoot 1 1/2 inch groups or better all day long.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It depends on whether they were originally intended for training or service.
For training in use of the grenade, the barrel didn't matter, but if they were issued for service, they also had to be able to be used as a standard infantry rifle.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
The cup launching rifles are typically OK as far as the bore is concerned. The majority of the India rifles were reinforced due to immediate need for lack of armor.
It was the rod grenade rifles (and line launchers) which are more often found with the worn barrels and/or bad crowns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.