Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this one up because of the ringed pattern. British for sure, but WWI or WWII?Thoughts, opinions and speculation welcomed…

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,581 Posts
Just from how it seems to match a few I have I'd go with WWI. Are there any makers marks? Should be near the bottom.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,061 Posts
I can't answer your questions but I like your launcher. It's a scarce piece in nice condition.

I purchased more than a few of the Brit and Indian cup launchers for $25 each decades ago when they were easily available but I never got the ringed variation. 😕

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yours is marked S&B (the same as mine) and I have always been told it is an Indian Cup-Launcher, but maybe yours has had another manufacturer 'cup' fitted as the knurling on your is full height.

Or - is the S&B a UK manufacturer and I have an Indian 'cup' (RFI) fitted ?

Tire Auto part Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was referring to your cup being of Indian manufacture per the RFI ( Ishapore) marking. There isn’t much reference material out there on the cups, so even that is speculation on my part.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Ag
I was referring to your cup being of Indian manufacture per the RFI ( Ishapore) marking. There isn’t much reference material out there on the cups, so even that is speculation on my part.
Agreed, my cup is RFI, (Indian) and as you say very little documentation about them.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I also have an ISHAPORE RFI, cup launcher that I use to launch tennis balls for the dog. a year or so IMA, had them for over $200.00+ I believe?. any how they certainally have rely gone up and when you can find them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
any pictures of the grenades' that they launched? just courious?
Good Day,
The "
Practice No.68 Grenade, Rifle Anti-Tank for cup discharger or dispenser" was used as a training device during the early part of WW2. According to Rick Landers, "Grenade-British and Commonwealth Hand and Rifle Grenades", the No.68 hollow or shape charge "if detonated in the normal way against a steel plate would cause little damage. However, when detonated behind a hollow recess, it could burn a narrow hole to a depth of 2 inches or so, discharging hot gases and molten steel within the tank."
This inert example is a Mk III version and would be used with the SMLE or Pattern 14 cup dischargers. I believe it was repainted to represent the marking found on a live example. It disassembled to show the shape charge copper components. The "LYD" markings represent the Lyddite explosive the cavity would have been filled with. I'm not sure what "117" was supposed to represent.
Regards,
Michael

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
12,061 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Ruprecht, thanking you for the reply to my question. also I noticed that the soldier in #13 is firing a rifle that does not have a wire wrapped stock. is that he norm?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I noticed that the soldier in #13 is firing a rifle that does not have a wire wrapped stock.
I think it is - look under his left hand.

It looks very much like an Ishapore rifle having both the 'Ishy screw' and what looks like the Indian 'sheet metal' band/wrapping

Black Wood Black-and-white Monochrome Monochrome photography

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
That's certainly a MkI rifle, but it's hard to tell from this photo - is that a continuous nosecap, like the trials rifles?
I don't know, the (apparent) Ishy screw made me think that the (odd looking) protection under his left hand looked very much like the steel-sheet wrapping that the Ishapore factory used instead of wire wrapping the forend on GF Rifles.

Cosmetics Cylinder Gas Metal Wind instrument

Be nice to find some more pictures, particularly as the home guard were generally issued the P17

1 - 20 of 29 Posts