Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
@dougstump i reckon there could be a market for those 3D stubs! How about a video launching these tennis balls!
I've been thinking about creating a tool to quickly and easily insert the plugs into the launcher. Guess I need to stop think and start doing.馃ぃ

Registered
How about a CB, CAP or 4mm Flobert,
Good luck trying to find any those loads.
I wasn't thinking about using full power loads to launch tennis balls, defanitly a good chance to blow a hole in it. You could switch to golf balls and use full power blanks.
I made an adapter for an old Carcano, I think I used 1 1/2 black pipe and a bushing, threaded the end of the barrel. It would shoot golf balls out of sight!
When I moved to NC about 5 years ago, The house is right on an old golf course no longer in use, when I walk the dog I always find some (one morning I found 35!) golf balls.
when I had two 5 gal pails full I decided I needed a launcher, the blanks being too loud I made one from an old Freon tank and a modifided lawn sprinkler valve.
It will shoot a golf ball at least 500 yards.
If you have a connection for some black cannon powder you could move up to a bowling ball mortar, I built one about ten years ago, it would shoot a 16# bowling ball 500 yards! with about a 35mm film container (remember them?) of cannon powder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
look up ATLANTIC WASS BLANKS. that is where that I get them. they work just fine!
I think I will try this option. I dont need to launch them 250 yards. Just under 100 will do. I will use used tennis balls to save $$$. Was not aware of the poison coating after the shot, So I will collect them after and throw away. Thanks for all the replies!!

Registered
I think the point being made was the fact the possibility of poisoning exists. Not so much that it will kill dogs like cyanide.
Awareness.
One of my dogs got ahold of a one pound bar of chocolate and a box of Sudafed. Devoured it. She was stoned out of her gourd but lived beyond 16 years. Lesson learned. Don鈥檛 leave things on the kitchen table with a hungry Rott in the house.
And it鈥檚 probably not a good idea to let dogs lick burnt powder and priming compounds either.
I didn鈥檛 let my kids play with mercury like we did鈥

Registered
I have had only two dogs that were food thief's / chewers. The first a Doberman/Shepard mix (rescue free dog, right!) ate two loaves of fresh baked bread and a bag of marshmallows, bag and all. The second (current) is a Plott hound who will eat anything not out of reach, she got into the bathroom garbage and chewed up one of my disposable razors! The when the vet looked at the x-ray he saw something but wasn't sure. He told me to keep a look out for ito_O So for the next week I was walking around after her with a 48" piece of EMT with a magnet and plastic bag!

Registered
I get my tennis balls at TRACTOR SUPPLY, they come in all colors and are sold by the bag. they are called balls for dogs to chase. they chase my balls after I shot them, and bring them back for another round.

Registered
The balls as dog toys are dead balls. No bounce. Some purple. Some green. Most won鈥檛 care about shooting dead balls. Others might.
so what?, they are cheep & work just fine! I see them hit the ground and they do bounce and roll. they do not hit the ground like a hunk of lead. so are we going to split hairs? it is supposed to be fun. it they get a hole on them from firing, just turn them to another spot. or put DUCK TAPE OVER IT. they are of a more heaver consistence than your standard tennis ball. jmho.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts