Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
New to the forum. I have owned a Greek model 1903 for several years but it is without a stock. It is stamped 1907 on the side of the receiver, I believe that indicates the year of manufactur. Not sure. It should be chambered for 6,5 X 54. Has a 19 inch barrel. I have been looking for a stock since I got it. Does anyone here know of someone wanting to sell one? I am also in need of some help figuring if any of the other 1903 versios would fit it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mark S

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
MGMike + 1! Photos likely essential for best answer. "Greek" urging military but yet unsure whether you're actually talking military or sporting/sporterized Steyr here! So... Kindly "stand & deliver" with the pix! :)
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
you said "it's not a great looker" imo, the metal is in better condition than a lot of the 1903's that we see. certainly well-worth trying to find a stock for it. there will be other comments about the type of stock you should look for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you said "it's not a great looker" imo, the metal is in better condition than a lot of the 1903's that we see. certainly well-worth trying to find a stock for it. there will be other comments about the type of stock you should look for.
The bad part is someone in the distant past ground a flat on the top and bottom of the barrel. Probably attempting to remove it. It does get covered up by the stock though. I guess its not so bad since it's 113 years old.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
First Mark, big thanks for the pix! Joining comment above; it looks pretty darn good to me too! So many guns, pitted messes... And selling for quite decent bucks or more!

If it's functioning OK and the bore is still good, as noted you do have a potential shooter; I'd add quite decent potential there too! The big problem as your initial Post suggests is 'the stock'; just where to find one. If you have a lead, good for you! The sad lament nowadays is that a "good stock" can often sell for more than the worth of the restocked rifle. Needing to be quite collectible to retrieve investment and that with understanding of "restored" as not "original". As far as substitute models, be very cautious! Hopefully, there will be someone along in this Forum to provide answers to such question which is beyond me!
I'm with some half dozen nifty barreled actions in same category and those common Springfields, Enfields & mausers! They in similar 'in-between' category, though stocks much easier to find; just sharing the fact of relatively expensive and questionable return on investment!
Your Greek stock source... another question above & beyond cost!
Be sure to do all possible homework to insure the barreled action is all you expect and firing condition as prerequisite to stock seeking excursion/investment.
Thanks for dropping by and sharing your interesting gun!
Best, Stay Safe and... Here, just my take!
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a cut down rifle stock that would probably work as a substitute until you find an original. It’s not perfect for sure but would allow you to shoot it. PM me
I have a cut down rifle stock that would probably work as a substitute until you find an original. It’s not perfect for sure but would allow you to shoot it. PM me
Hi Longshot2

I might be interested in your stock. I'm new to this forum and not sure how to pm. Do you have a pic you could share of the stock?
Thanks
Mark S

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hold your cursor over the M or name and a box will appear, message is in the lower right corner of the box.
Hi David

Still not getting a message link when hovering over the icon. Is that a paid member thing? Even tried it on the computer and my phone. Thought it might be a android thing. Any other suggestions. Sorry to be such a pest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.