Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got around to this one. Not marked for maker or Greek crest on receiver, and has a mark that reminds me of the 4UT on Beretta 1934 pistols. HZa in usual spot. Bore is excellent, numbers don't match. Nearly everything else has Breda star marks, bolt stop is Steyr. Duffle cut, stock has faint Greek Republic cartouche and Greek serial. Rifle has cosmoline everywhere - fascinating I think.

Looks like this went thru Innsbruck as it appears to be "HZaInn4" like this other MS http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?333817-Greek-M1903-14-Breda-w3ith-nice-HNZa-mark This one also has identical "A" and "M" stamps and the receiver mark.
Can anyone comment on the disposition/usage of Greek MS by German forces? Such as pictures, etc.

When the Greeks surrendered to the Germans, while returning from the Albanian front, they turned their arms over to them. Though the Greeks also just left stuff laying about on the road.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I have honestly never seen any photos of Greek MS in German service. They were certainly used and went where they were needed. Beutewaffen often show up in surprising places (Norwegian Krags in Ukraine for example). Innsbruck is only a guess, no one knows for sure where this HNZa was located.

The 5UT does look like an Italian inspection. Perhaps it was delivered to Italy after WWI and refurbished or built from parts at Breda?

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,088 Posts
Nice rifle, I like it. Very crisp HNZa stamp, too!
Congrats!
Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.