Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone has any information on the use of Mauser rifles by Greek forces either by capture or purchase?

Also any information on the possible re-chambering of Bulgarian Mannlichers to 7,92x57 by the Greeks would be of interest. I've checked all my written references and can find no mention of these matters anywhere.

Happy collecting!

Peter

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Peter,
I believe that the information about the Greeks converting Mannlicher straight pull rifles to 7.92 mm is false. They did use a small number (5,000) of 7.9 mm M.1888/90 shortened rifles during the early days of WW II, but these were converted in Liege and provided by the British. It is not known how the British obtained them. A number were later used in North Africa. The M.1895 Mannlicher 7.9mm conversions we commonly find today are all Yugoslav products in my experience.

Regarding Mausers used in Greece, there were two sources of these rifles:

First, tens of thousands of Turkish mausers were captured from the Ottoman Turks during the Balkan Wars just before WW I. I have no information that these were offcially taken intro Greek service, although I would not be surprised.

Second, the FN-made 7.9 mm Model 1930 short rifle was adopted by Greece in the late 1930's. Reportedly, a total of 25,000 were delivered in 1937 or so. This was followed up by another order, which, due to the start of WW II, could not be delivered. My source for this infomation is a Greek document dating to 1995. I'll post the author, title and IBNS number later today.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Just a bit of additional info. Greek 1930 rifles have shown up in Turk rifle shipments, and the second order of 1930's from FN was apparently taken over and issued by the Germans. I have no documentation for either statement, but I do have a 1930 with turk markings added.

·
3,472 Posts
The ex-Greek FN Mle 1930's from Turkey were weapons imported by Navy Arms in NJ and were part of the very first shipments of Mausers exported by the Turks about 15 years ago. I bought one then too, although I have since broken it up for parts.

The use of Greek-crested Mauser by German Forces during WW II has still not been documented properly but I do not doubt it based on the reports I have heard and several discussion I've had with families whose relatives came home from the ETO with these rifles.

I believe that there are known ex-Greek FN 30's with genuine Wehrmacht stock cartouches.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmm..... thanks for the informatiom.

I wonder how the Greek M30 rifles came to be included with surplus arms shipped from Turkey? As Turkey was neutral during WW2 and Greece was occupied could the Germans have supplied Turkey with captured rifles?

Has anyone seen a Mauser fit bayonet with the 'George and Dragon' Greek acceptance stamp?

Peter

·
3,472 Posts
Hmmmmm..... thanks for the informatiom.

I wonder how the Greek M30 rifles came to be included with surplus arms shipped from Turkey? As Turkey was neutral during WW2 and Greece was occupied could the Germans have supplied Turkey with captured rifles?
Peter
The two armies clashed repeatedly along their common borders and on Cyprus from WW II into the 1960's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts