Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 90% - 95% example of a Greek M.1930 with intact crest. My question is what parts have SNs? The bolt, receiver, barrel and stock are matched with the Greek cartouche. Most other parts are proofed w/o sn. Its covered in cosmoline and not import marked. I don't see the cartouche of St.George fighting a dragon.

Any insights are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
When FN replaced the Mod. 1924 with the Mod. 1930, one of the big improvements in addition to going to a standard length action, was their machining and production capabilities had improved to the point they had achieved nearly 100% parts interchangeability. Numbering of all the small parts stopped. I believe on your example only the parts you listed should have the sn.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks runner... The lack of a St. George cartouche has me intrigued... The SN on the stock is a form of block outline print I haven't seen on others rifles

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello Ike27
St George Slaying the dragon were not stamped on the FN 1930. Serial numbers should only appear on the bolt receiver, stock, and barrel. The serial numbers should have a Greek alphabet prefix before the 4 digit number. The block outline serial number on the stock is correct. Does yours match all around? I have several of these and they all have mismatched bolts. Some proof marks have a circle A and some have a small rectangle with a cross-which symbolizes the monarchy flag of Greece. Some came with a cartouch on the stock above the serial number with the cross of St George and the crown. As far as I know St. George appears only on the MS 03/14/27s.
If you could post some closer pics I would like to see what you have.
pj

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
PJ

Yes it's a matching and most parts are proofed with circle A or cross. Stock has the cartouche. Any specific areas you would like close pics of? I am putting it through the ultrasonic cleaner tomorrow so it will be back together soon. Worst metal condition is seen here as well. The rest of the metal is 98%

Revolver
Cylinder Revolver Auto part Muffler

Thanks for your insight

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello Hello Ike27-Your rifle is correct- congratulations. The H prefix is from the Greek alphabet ETA. I would love to see more pics. maybe a close up of the cartouch on the stock. It is very rare to see one in this shape. These rifles were used in World War II by the Greek National Army in Albania when they were fighting against the Italians and Germans. They were mostly issued to the Evzone Units which were special forces. After the war they ended up captured by the Germans and some were taken by the resistance fighters. In Greece they would consider this rifle a national treasure. Take good care of it as I have seen many of them sportorized here in the US and it makes me sad.
The correct bayonet is a Belgium Model 1924 Long Export bayonet.Greek versions are hard to find. You can find a lot of 1924 Export Bayonets on e-bay but most of them are from other countries. The Greek version is different as they were the only ones that were in the blue with the serial numbers on the bottom of the pommel-again with 4 digits preceded with a letter from the Greek alphabet.
Thanks for sharing your find.
pj

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hello Ike27
St George Slaying the dragon were not stamped on the FN 1930. Serial numbers should only appear on the bolt receiver, stock, and barrel. The serial numbers should have a Greek alphabet prefix before the 4 digit number. The block outline serial number on the stock is correct. Does yours match all around? I have several of these and they all have mismatched bolts. Some proof marks have a circle A and some have a small rectangle with a cross-which symbolizes the monarchy flag of Greece. Some came with a cartouch on the stock above the serial number with the cross of St George and the crown. As far as I know St. George appears only on the MS 03/14/27s.
If you could post some closer pics I would like to see what you have.
pj
The St. George slaying the dragon stamp was stamped on the Greek contract FN30 (or at least some of them)).

Here it is on the stock wrist of my all-matching (from the H-block) Greek Contract FN1930

·
Registered
351 Posts
I stand corrected-1st time I seen one on an FN-

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,319 Posts
St. George very likely was stamped on the wrist of all YP30 rifles that were actually delivered and accepted by the Greeks. I've had three of them.

The absence of the stamp on your rifle, and the fact that its s/n is from the last ("H" or "Eeta" prefix) suggests to me that the gun was captured at the factory in Herstal when the Germans overran Belgium, and was never delivered to Greece.

M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.