Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turkish 1903 bayonet-with blade similar to the German S-98.Blade length is 15&5/8ths and the end has been ground down to a point,Hook removed from crossguard and frog stud is different .I dont know it this is a Greek made scabbard or a Turkish modified one.This fits the Mannlicher 1903/14 rifle.The guy I got these from had more Greek conversions but another collector bought them.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Is there any Turk anything that didn't get reworked a dozen times? I like turk stuff, but unless great-grandpa brought it home from Aleppo or Damascus it seems like it got run through a dozen modifications a year every year from then till now.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Greeks modified a lot of different bayonets for the Mannlicher 1903.I think the shoe is on the other foot on this one with the Greeks modifing the Turk bayonet.I would aggree that there is endless Turk modified bayonets from whatever was at hand at the time

·
Registered
67 Posts
M1890 & m1903 turkish bayonets mod to greek m1903

Greece captured large quantities of Turkish rifles & bayonets on the first Balkan War. A number of M1890 and M1903 bayonets were modified in Greece to fit the M1903 Greek Mannlicher. Their scabbards were all steel, some of them crudely made. Basically there is one modification of M1903 and two modifications of M1890 Turkish bayonets known, to fit the Greek Mannlicher rifle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Greece captured large quantities of Turkish rifles & bayonets on the first Balkan War. A number of M1890 and M1903 bayonets were modified in Greece to fit the M1903 Greek Mannlicher. Their scabbards were all steel, some of them crudely made. Basically there is one modification of M1903 and two modifications of M1890 Turkish bayonets known, to fit the Greek Mannlicher rifle.
I agree with you Giannis and i believe that maybe there are more modifications of M1903 and M1890 and just we haven't met them yet. Unfortunaly bibliography doesn't help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Greek bayonet conversions

This is the reason I stated about conversions "known" Panagioti. Unfortunately there are no official records to help the research on them as you know. I discovered last year, (after more than 35 years of collecting and studying the Greek bayonets) a not known till then conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.