Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up from from another forum, interesting in that is gives a great view of a No1 Mklll* in theatre. Note the pilling swivel and butt disc. Given the P1914 leather sling maybe we can assume it was quite early on in the war? 1915 examples of the Mklll* are certainly around.

Have heard it said over the years that butt discs is Mklll*s is not correct but this says otherwise…there is no never and always with Lee Enfiends

Military camouflage Squad Military uniform Cap Military person

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
I would guess maybe mid war due to the lack of cloth helmet covers on the French?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would guess that these guys have no idea what they are doing with that rifle leaning across the table ready to slip and blow the head off the Tommie with the moustache.
Seriously though, i suspect most likely a staged photo showing happy Anglo French relations.
It’s a shame that so many photos (and film clips) from all sides in both the First and Second War are obviously staged for the camera to be used for propaganda purposes. It does distort the historical picture. I believe there are almost no pictures from the Soviets in WW2 that isn’t carefully staged.
Nevertheless an interesting photo.
Al

·
Registered
Lithgow Lee Enfield No1 MkIII/III*
134 Posts
@Alan L - I'm glad you mentioned the rifle aimed direct at the Tommie. This is the first thing I noticed! That and the couple of cold beers they are enjoying. Didn't know that was part of the front line kit!

Reactions: wwgunsguy

·
Registered
123 Posts
In a sense, all photographs from the time period are "staged" inasmuch at this point in time photography took time and effort and was not usually done by amateurs.
"Posed" for sure, but beyond that I wouldn't automatically read too much else into it. Propaganda photographs were of course a thing however and they usually have a grandiose element.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Staged? Of course it is. It could easily have been late war.
But that isn’t the point of the topic. It’s about seeing a MkIII in full dress with all the things people claim were ALL REMOVED by that point in the war. Yet there it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as the rifle being propped up like that, of course they wouldn't have done so normally but the photographer asked them to prominently display it somehow in the forefront of the photo. It's just too obvious to be anything else.

·
Registered
323 Posts
And it appears the Brit has his foot keeping the rifle in position for photo.
Also, is that a hole or is the pants bottom secured with a bottom, sort of blousing effect. To be able to slip boot thru then fix button.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The rifle is a no1 mk3* so it would be from late 1915 onwards. My guess is 1916 as there appears to be a smattering of staged photos like this from the initial Somme battle period. I've owned two 1915 BSAs with them being mk3 and mk3*. I will add one thing.....if there was blokes who posed with their rifle like that today, they'd be in some serious sh&t.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is another interesting one, Canadians this time said to be taken in 1916. Note still using Ross rifles, modified blade bayonet on the rifle and look at the bayonet frog on the guy standing. Looks like the leather frogs were being cut off even back then.

Military camouflage Military uniform Marines Military person Wood

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Can’t be. No way. Not according to the rules of hindsight revisionist history. ;)

Those must be Newfies on coastal watch:p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can’t be. No way. Not according to the rules of hindsight revisionist history. ;)

Those must be Newfies on coastal watch:p
😂😂

The rifle isn't cocked and but we can all be as finicky as we want I guess. I just love seeing these photos. Something about our fore-fathers doing some seriously historical things that gets me every time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts