Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If there is a aperture sight anywhere to fit a milsurp: I am after it this past 2 yrs and its helped but I needed something major to help me out with iron sights.

Let me say that I have been suffering from old eyes and fuzzy iron sights. I have spent a ton of money chasing aperture sights for weapons this past 2 years which helped a lot but I have my days when I shoot for crap with them. I still do just fine with the M1 Rifle but those 03,Mauser, Mosin rear sight leafs on the barrel and tiny front sights drive me blind. The current blinding situation is trying to shoot No.1 Enfields with microscopic iron sights: just tough for me to shoot and I do poorly.

I asked the CMP forum for help regarding those devices that stick on your glasses. Two options came up: Merit Optical and Eye Pal. Eye Pal was cheaperr and recommended by another CMP forum member so I tried this option but was prepared to go the $70 Merit option if I had to.

Today: Swiss K31 and No.1 Enfield rifles on the range: I used the Eye Pal and I could see the sights. Yes...just like when I was a kid, these sights were clear and crisp and so was my target : I shot terrifically today . I am 63 now, the last time I remember seeing iron sights this clear was in basic training with the M14 rifle !!!

I got the kit with the Rifle and Handgun models of Eye Pal. I did not test the Pistol version out cause I forgot to. I did shoot 1911 pistol using the Rifle Eye Pal in place and it was awesome. Shot so darn good that I did not think to test the hand gun version of this eye device.

For about $30 , I got this set for rifle and hand gun. The maker told me that the pistol version offers a large field of view for distance shooting of rifles and that is what he does. I will try that out.

Bottom line: The Eye Pal worked for me. Considering the cost of ammo wasted and frustration with iron sights at my age: I am sold on this product as it fits my needs exactly.

So if you are in pain with iron sights and old eyes: forget the scope and stay with iron sights and give this product consideration.

here is the link: http://www.myeyepal.com/

I will now be able to extend my shooting life with iron sights and for the money spent..............there is no price limit to this gift of extended range time. This is a big deal for me and I will enjoy every day of better shooting.

Email me if you need more input. I will report out on hand gun version of this device on next range visit plus use it for long distance rifle shooting and see what results pop up.

Heads Up: you do not need to suffer from old eyes anymore. I am a slow learner but I found a solution that works for me. Best of all: this does not alter the rifle at all which makes your collector milsurp stay original but you can shoot it like it had aperture sights on it.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Are these the type that attach to your glasses and have a small hole to sight through?

We used to use black tape and punch a hole in it, had the same effect. Others used all kinds of creative ways to do the same thing.

Or have they found some new technology to make it better yet and easier to use?

Is a picture of the product possible?

·
Registered
19,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.myeyepal.com/

I guess you could fabricate with anything but the product as described worked for me and goes on / off with no fuss. I am good with results
and the money spent and more importantly: better shot groups with iron sights !!!!!

But YES: small hole to sight through.

Fact is: however you go about it, this type of solution works for old eyes. There is no reason to suffer like I been doing.

·
Silver Bullet member
779 Posts
It's weird you posted this.. I just today decided to experiment with the same concept. I used a thumb tack, poked a hole in a pink post it note and scotch taped it onto my shooting glasses. Took a few tries to get a comfortable cheek weld and sight picture combination.

It really works wonders. The target, front sight and rear sight are all in sharp focus. I always thought this was impossible to achieve.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
HawkEye, from Lyman--It works really well, too:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/hawkeye.php

I've used the Merit and the Hawkeye for a while, imho, the Merit is tops without a doubt, but is costly.

The two cheap solutions to try before spending money on any of these things are to either use a leather punch to make holes in black electrical tape, and attach the tape to your glasses, or get a cheap pair of flip up sunglasses and drill an aperture thru the lens--this works great. as you can flip up the shades when not needed.

At the other end of the scale, both Gehmann and Knobloch make Olympic-type shooting glasses with several different styles of adjustable iris sight enhancers, but either brand will run you more $$ than a nice minty Kiv. M39.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,863 Posts
I have a merit sight but wish it had a better method of attaching to my glasses. The suction cup takes up a good portion of the lens and it sometimes lets go while I am walking the 100 yards to the target stand.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I remember years ago. I realized that I can see the sights and target better when was shooting my #5MK1 Jungle carbines with peep sight vs. My Mauser iron sights would get real fuzzy trying to focus rear and front sights, along with the target.

I punched a hole in some electrical tape and put it on my glasses and it worked well.

Since then some of our older shooters bought the clip on lenses with holes in them and they work also.

Making your own is cheaper, that is for sure.

But, $30 ain't bad, if you don't have time to make your own. IMO

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Spend the money instead on a good ophthalmologist. With the current vision correction options available, there is no valid excuse to suffer glasses and contacts anymore.
Best bad thing that ever happened in my life was cataracts and bionic implant lenses! The difference in your quality of life is well worth the price!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Like other folks here, I use black electrical tape with a small hole punched through it. But, the various devices linked look better than tape and you get fewer strange looks at the range. Still, my targets are corrugated cardboard with various sized squares made from black duct tape...that shows you how much I care about strange looks :) .

Keith

1 - 11 of 11 Posts