Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an aerosol can from Home Despot called Jasper Premium Paint and Epoxy Stripper. Wow does it work and in 5 minutes, I scraped off wood with back of a hunting knife. Wood is bone dry after scraping and clean. Awesome stuff to use on the junk RC's LOL FoxmanMT:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hopefully, the chemicals that allow it to work so quickly and aggressively won't have any negative effect on the wood over time. Once the shellac is gone, the wood is free to soak any chemicals up like a sponge, and those chemicals can attack things like laminate glue, etc. I'm told.

I've never heard about that product before, but I have been warned not to use anything that is overly aggressive.

Saleen

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
This a bit of a dead horse, but I guess I will give it a smack or two before it starts to stink too bad.
The best way to remove shellac is not the quickest or most harsh.
The BEST way does the least damage to the wood fibers (stained or not) UNDER the shellac no matter if it takes hours to complete.
This NOT a shellac removal race forum, it is a K98 (wood and metal) collectors and PRESERVATION forum.
Shellac is made by dissolving dry shellac flake in de-natured alcohol.
De-natured alcohol will turn the (now dry again) flakes back into a liquid which can we wiped off with no harm to the underlying wood.
Acetone does the same job but much quicker than de-natured alcohol.
Pain(t) stripper is called for if acetone fails, but as long as we are talking about R/C rifles (and not bubba's tru-coat nightmare) that is all that is required or advisable IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts