Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around 5 million books and it seems they all recycle the same pics. I collect pics of G-43, 41 and other less common weapons.

This book has excellent large pictures of G41's and 43's in action. Almost all I have never seen before. I told Hambone and he got it and agrees with me. The text is excellent also.

Dying for Saint Lo by Lodieu.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Great book recommendation Jack. I got my copy yesterday :D

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
How much, and who is selling it? Hopefully one of the book dealers will have a copy at this weekends gunshow.

Any first hand accounts on their use?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
# if pics

Not a huge quantity of rifle pics. but includes clear equipment pics and para camo helmets and smocks. On one of the pics of a stick grenade you can see the w/ampts on the top of the head. There is a big pic of a guy cleaning a G-41..

·
Gold Bullet member
389 Posts
Well, Jack944 did warn that there were not a large number of rifle pics. I saw only 3 G41 shots, Pg 112, 120 and 128.

What did keep sticking in my mind is how skinny these soldiers were. They look like their average weight was 135 to 140 lbs. I can only guess that the supply of food was low and inadequate. Pic from page 30.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Protein, no processed food, alot of physical activity and combat for several years. People back then were mostly quite thin because they didn't sit on their a$$es all day consuming lots of carbs and processed foods.

As for the book, I think it's great, and thank Jack for the rec. Mainly, the recent grouping I got, this one,
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=88867
is from a Sgt. who fought with the 119th IR / 30th ID throughout the book. What's cool is I am seeing pics and reading things in the book that are depicted in Sgt. Weaver's pics, such as knocked out Shermans, M10s, knocked out SP guns, dead SS, etc., along with the locations that match the book. There is a G/K43 or two in there, along with several G.41s.

1st SS taken out by the 119th:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, Jack944 did warn that there were not a large number of rifle pics.
I never said there weren't a large number of pictures in this book. The ones that are there are very nice.

I said there were no g43 photos in this book. I bought the book on recommendation from him that there were g43 photos in the book, it's even in his title. There were none, therefore I'm disappointed. Nice book, but I wouldn't have bought it if I knew there were no photos of g43's in it. Just wish he was a little more careful in his review.

p.s. and also thought I should mention it in case anyone else wanted to buy this book in the future for the reasons I did.

·
Gold Bullet member
389 Posts
You sir are quite cruel to a person with poor eyesight.

If you are talking about the pic on pg 121 regarding the soldier in the background getting out of the truck, I wasn't sure if it was a G41 or part of the fence that seems to be there.

I have gone throught the book a few times viewing the pics, haven't started to read the book yet.

Lots of pics of Fallschirmjaegers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.