Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Puts it in terms even Fudds and Prags and (dare we hope) maybe even ol' Johnny McWarOnGunShows himself can understand...

Some inspiration for letters of our own...

Published December 28 2008

Local view: Firearms prohibitionists take their meddling to people’s living rooms

By: Russ Stewart , Duluth News Tribune

A week before Minnesota’s firearm deer season I visited my 86-year-old father. He regaled me with an entertaining stream of tales from his 70 years as a deer hunter in the north woods. He lamented his failing eyesight and then rose from his ancient recliner and went to the closet where he keeps his guns. He took out a battered old case and handed it me. “I want you to have this.”

I knew what was inside. A Savage model 219 single-shot 30-30 rifle. My father bought it in 1944 for $12. It’s well worn after more than 60 years of hard use. It was an honor to be given such an heirloom. Over the past few years my father has passed on most of his modest collection of firearms to his children and grandchildren. It is his way of passing on our family’s heritage.

However, if some people had their way, my father would be a felon the next time he passed on a firearm to a family member. These people complain about a so-called “gun show loophole,” which, if you were to accept the rhetoric of firearm prohibitionists, is responsible for an endless stream of death and carnage.

In truth, attempts to close the “loophole” are really attacks on cherished freedoms that have been quietly enjoyed by millions of Americans since the founding of our nation. With the exception of those unfortunate residents of a few nanny-states, citizens of the U.S. always have been able to gift, buy, sell and trade firearms without the interference of government.

But if people like Duluth’s Joan Peterson, a member of the national board of trustees of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (and the author of the Dec. 9 Local View commentary, “ ‘Gun show loophole,’ still open in Minnesota, must be closed”) are able to enact their legislative agenda, this liberty will be extinguished. The sad part is that if they are successful, crime rates would be unaffected. It is well established that only a tiny fraction of guns used to commit crimes come from gun shows. But that doesn’t stop the prohibitionists from scaring people with exaggerated stories.

Peterson wrote that we need to pass a law to “require unlicensed sellers to perform background checks on buyers at gun shows and other venues.” What she didn’t write was that these “other venues” include my father’s living room. The proposed legislation requires a background check for every private firearm bought, sold or gifted. So when Peterson claimed the proposed law “wouldn’t change anything for law-abiding citizens,” she was simply wrong.

Another thing firearm prohibitionists won’t tell you is that in order for a universal background check system to be effective, every gun would need to be registered with the government.

There are those who would take offense at my use of the term “prohibitionist” to describe members of groups like the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Northland Million Moms, but actions speak louder than words. While speaking of “reasonable gun laws,” they advocate a program of incremental prohibition of private firearm ownership.

Our nation already has more than 20,000 laws relating to firearms, and 99 percent of them are an affront to liberty. As new laws are introduced in response to Brady Campaign scare tactics, I am reminded of the words of Ben Franklin: “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.”

I’ve got news for the prohibitionists of the world. My father won’t give up his freedom to pass on his legacy without government interference — and neither will I, nor will my family, nor my friends. Nor will millions of other freedom-loving citizens. The passage of a new set of gun-control laws would simply create a new class of felons out of formerly law-abiding citizens.

And that may have a set of unintended consequences all its own.

RUSS STEWART of Duluth served two terms on the City Council and is a professor at Lake Superior College.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I seem to recall that you did more posting against John McCain on these boards prior to the elections than you did against Obama.

I think you voted for Barr or Paul in the elections...despite both of them being told "NO" in the primaries by American voters.

I seem to recall that 20 million votes for Perot didn't change anything, and I'm not sure I've even heard RP or Barr's names mentioned after the elections.

In at least two threads I have asked you how McCain/Palin's NRA ratings of a C and A compare against Obama/Biden's of F/F...and you always seem to vacate the thread afterwards, or bring up my vote in the primaries for Mitt Romney, who has a far better RKBA voting history than McCain.

So...if McCain/Palin were in office instead of Obama, would we be seeing a rush for assault rifles?

You voted against McCain and help put Obama in office in November, so forgive us if we don't get all teary eyed over your whinings.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you voted for Barr or Paul in the elections...despite both of them being told "NO" in the primaries by American voters.
Imagine that... A Republican gets his intel wrong :rolleyes:.I voted for Baldwin. As I've mentioned, repeatedly, before and after the election. Bob Barr could have won my vote, maybe, if he'd apologized for his support of the Lautenberg amendment.

I seem to recall that 20 million votes for Perot didn't change anything, and I'm not sure I've even heard RP or Barr's names mentioned after the elections.
Perot scared the two-party duopoly into tightening up the ballot access process to head off any real third-party threat. I wonder if you're even aware of how hard it is just to get on a ballot as a independent or third-party candidate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446152,00.html

In at least two threads I have asked you how McCain/Palin's NRA ratings of a C and A compare against Obama/Biden's of F/F...and you always seem to vacate the thread afterwards
Um, I don't think so. It'd be easy enough to check my post archive.

BTW, if the NRA wants me back as a member (based on my mail, they sure do want my money) they can start basing their grades and endorsements on a candidate's respect for the Second Amendment, regardless of their estimate of his chances of winning or his party affiliation. As it stands the letters "NRA" mean nothing more than "Necrotic Republican Appendage".

or bring up my vote in the primaries for Mitt Romney, who has a far better RKBA voting history than McCain.
Really? Governors vote on much legislation, do they?

So...if McCain/Palin were in office instead of Obama, would we be seeing a rush for assault rifles?
A President McCain wouldn't throw us under the bus... until he saw some benefit to his agenda (McAmnesty, perhaps) in doing so. He doesn't exacly HATE our guns...

but...

as with you...

"so help me God" is just words to John McCain.

Like "Congress shall make no law"...

and "shall not be infringed".

Just pretty words.

Helpful suggestions, at best.

To be cast aside the minute they stand between John and What John Wants.

You voted against McCain and help put Obama in office in November, so forgive us if we don't get all teary eyed over your whinings.

I voted for the Constitution, in keeping with my oath to support same. I'll not apologize for for refusing to forgive and reward an unrepentant oath-breaker. You don't like being reminded that that's what YOU did.

Happy New Year. :)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Imagine that... A Republican gets his intel wrong :rolleyes:.I voted for Baldwin. As I've mentioned, repeatedly, before and after the election. Bob Barr could have won my vote, maybe, if he'd apologized for his support of the Lautenberg amendment.

Perot scared the two-party duopoly into tightening up the ballot access process to head off any real third-party threat. I wonder if you're even aware of how hard it is just to get on a ballot as a independent or third-party candidate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446152,00.html

Um, I don't think so. It'd be easy enough to check my post archive.

BTW, if the NRA wants me back as a member (based on my mail, they sure do want my money) they can start basing their grades and endorsements on a candidate's respect for the Second Amendment, regardless of their estimate of his chances of winning or his party affiliation. As it stands the letters "NRA" mean nothing more than "Necrotic Republican Appendage".

Really? Governors vote on much legislation, do they?

A President McCain wouldn't throw us under the bus... until he saw some benefit to his agenda (McAmnesty, perhaps) in doing so. He doesn't exacly HATE our guns...

but...

as with you...

"so help me God" is just words to John McCain.

Like "Congress shall make no law"...

and "shall not be infringed".

Just pretty words.

Helpful suggestions, at best.

To be cast aside the minute they stand between John and What John Wants.

I voted for the Constitution, in keeping with my oath to support same. I'll not apologize for for refusing to forgive and reward an unrepentant oath-breaker. You don't like being reminded that that's what YOU did.

Happy New Year. :)
Who is Baldwin? :)
Once again, Baldwin wasn't a factor in the election, McCain and Obama were...you merely stuck your head in the sand.
When confronted with the question of "What did DT do to prevent Obama from taking office with a VP who were both "F's," your best answer comes down to, "I voted for an inconsequential candidate."

Would McCain/Palin uphold the contitution better than Obama/Biden, DT?

Yes.
What did you do?
Voted for an inconsequential candidate.

How did Romney's stance on guns compare to Obama/Bidens or Hillarys?

Then, we get into the whole excuse of "millions of Republicans didn't vote," but nobody would say what states they were from.

You may be too young to remember, but all 20 million votes for Perot did was put Clinton in office, and I was one of those 20 million votes.

Here's one thread in which I asked you to compare McCain/Palin's gun voting history with Obama/Bidens, since you said McCain was no better...and you quit the thread.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=73733&highlight=dirtythirty&page=2

Another thread in which I asked you to post a comparison between the voting record of McCain/Palin versus Obama/Biden, and in which you once again state that voting for an inconsequential candidate served us better than supporting McCain:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...t=mccain/palin+obama/biden+dirtythirty&page=2

As with a few others, you spent more time worrying about McCain's voting record than you did Obama/Biden, even after a lifetime meber of the NRA and gun enthusiast was elected as his VP.

My conscience is very clear, as I know that a McCain/Palin ticket would far exceed an Obama/Biden...and you voted for a candidate who didn't even appear on my state ballot. :)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I know EricAWB isn't lecturing people on how to vote.

See signature.
I seem to recall that the NRA gave Romney a higher rating than McCain.

I also seem to recall that I voted for McCain in November when it came down to a choice between he and Obama.

Didn't you vote for McCain when it was all said and done?

I seem to recall that you spent months prior to the election slandering McCain...didn't you...far more than Obama, even.

DT,

In Oklahoma, only McCain and Obama were on the ballot, and there are no write ins.

McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden?

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Are you that much of a dunce? I guess the NRA supports AWB now? Or is that in Aug of 2006, Romney became a life member? First and foremost, the NRA is a political lobbying organization.

Mitt Romney in September 2002 debate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzYTdM9b5F4

Mitt Romney at a NH town hall meeting; he gets flustered and can't answer the question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8M3Ht28fd8

Romney at another NH town hall meeting; he comes out in support of the Brady bill and the AWB ban:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-UQG7k1uX0

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Everyone who didn't vote for McCain in the General Election helped elect Obamma. Your childish ego tantrums put Obamma in the White House. Now you're gonna cry? He's there because of childish refusal to face reality on election day. No one gave a damn about Paul nor did they even know who Barr was. The other mainstream candidates were rejected. Lesser of two evils is better than what we got due to hurt feelings. I didn't get my way, but guess what, I couldn't take the ball and go home to try to punish everyone. I voted for a hope to keep Obamma out.
Thank you everyone who voted for a third party candidate or stayed home election day.:mad: Obama thanks you, too! He got your message! The Republican Party now counts you as apathetic voters and wont' be catering to you next time either. You've made yourselves insignificant.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
DT is nothing more than a communist, will never stop graoning till his ilk is in the big house. mouser, well he's just a child, he can be looked over. Eric, it is too bad romney wasn't the man, he may could have got elected, he definately was my preference out of the bunch, and there is no doubt he'd be in better shape to lead this country out of the crisis we're in. DT will noever stop throwing his BS out there, so get used to him.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
DT is nothing more than a communist, will never stop graoning till his ilk is in the big house. mouser, well he's just a child, he can be looked over. Eric, it is too bad romney wasn't the man, he may could have got elected, he definately was my preference out of the bunch, and there is no doubt he'd be in better shape to lead this country out of the crisis we're in. DT will noever stop throwing his BS out there, so get used to him.
Want to watch DT abandon a thread?

Ask him how someone such as myself should have voted on Election Day when only McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden were on the ticket, and write-ins void a ballot.

Because that was the situation in Oklahoma.

With the pitiful turnout for third party candidates (as most of us knew would happen) it was McCain vs. Obama in every state election.

I'd have to ask DT what Republican President has met his criteria in the past.

With two of the most anti-gun leaders, Obama/Biden in history, why this was such a good time to help put them in office.

Ask DT what it would look like for gun owners four years down the road if Palin was running for President, since McCain would probably be too old to want to go four more years, and you'll hear crickets chirping.

He'll expound upon how he knew McCain would lose...while his candidate didn't even get 200,000 votes or make it on my ballot.

He'll ridicule "Johnny Jett," despite the fact McCain was a true war hero and suffered toture to protect his country and fellow servicemen.

There's much about McCain I don't like, and it's why I didn't vote for him in the primaries, but when it came to a choice between McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden, there was no gray area.

Some of the members can brag about how they voted with their conscience (as I did in 1992 with Perot) and now their conscience will bother them as mine did now when I helped put Clinton in office for eight years.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Some of the members can brag about how they voted with their conscience (as I did in 1992 with Perot) and now their conscience will bother them as mine did now when I helped put Clinton in office for eight years.
Yeah, Perot. I regret helping Billybob get in office with my "protest" vote against "Read my lips".
Difference is, we learned something and didn't repeat the mistake. Some of these guys will be voting "to send them a message". Only message "they" get guys is that you are outside the mainstream, hence, self marginalized; ignored.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Everyone who didn't vote for McCain in the General Election helped elect Obamma. Your childish ego tantrums put Obamma in the White House.
The biggest help Obama got to being in the White House was when the Republican party picked John McCain as their candidate. The guy was a corpse, economic ignoramus and a pro-war nutcase.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
mbm48: yep.. a HORRIBLE choice for president.. ;)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The biggest help Obama got to being in the White House was when the Republican party picked John McCain as their candidate. The guy was a corpse, economic ignoramus and a pro-war nutcase.
Let's see, what party did you vote in the primaries, who did you select, and how many votes did he get? :)

No need to answer...we know you won't.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
mbm48: yep.. a HORRIBLE choice for president.. ;)
...this coming from Llamaboy...who didn't vote in the primaries and played no part whatsoever in the selection of a candidate to run against Obama...

I just love all the armchair quarterbacks in here. :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: "C" ratings...

Hey Ear-ache, here's an experiment for ya... go tell your wife that you received a "C" rating from the National Monogamy Association. :rolleyes:

Let us know how that went over.

When you get out of the hospital. :D

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

You also "recalled" that I voted for Bob Barr, in spite of the fact that I was telling you I was voting for Baldwin, starting back in July. And you never have stopped asking who I voted for in spite of repeated reminders.

In short, your "recall" isn't worth much. Need some of that gingko-biloba stuff, old-timer?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Want to watch DT abandon a thread?

Ask him how someone such as myself should have voted on Election Day when only McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden were on the ticket, and write-ins void a ballot.

Because that was the situation in Oklahoma.

Sorry for you, but it's never right to do wrong.

The "lesser of two evils" is still EVIL.

You claim to be a Christian. Show me where Jesus advocated the "lesser of two evils".

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DT is nothing more than a communist

Oh look, little falm16 found a new word.

Little falm16 clearly has no idea what it means, he just knows it's a naughty word... :D

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Yeah, these guys are PROUD of their vote for a guy who told the nation that he has half a million dollars in credit card debt, supported the billionaire banker bailout, and who couldn't answer the question, "How many houses do you own?" :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts