Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just joined Gunboards recently, and mostly for my addiction to old military bolt rifles, I was quite gratified to find this forum. I'm certainly not well-versed in this genre, but what a place to gain knowledge !! I currently have three "Mossies" and just love them.... what cool rifles ( and, with the price of ammo these days, a great time to enjoy ".22 Love" !! ). List : one 46M, one 144LS and one 42 (no prefix nor suffix letters).

By the way--- the magazine on the Model 42 doesn't seem to want to stay in....... any suggestions ? Thanks.

A most wonderful CHRISTmas to all, and may 2009 prove to be your finest New Year ever with only better to follow. (^_^)

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it's the correct ( probably original ) magazine, so I'll carefully inspect and 'tweak' it as necessary ( emphasis on CAREFULLY !! ).

Thanks for the reply and the link.

As the M42 has only the numbered model designation, would that probably make it an early-run/original Model 42 ?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I just had it in my hot little paws and here's what it says :

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
New Haven, Conn. USA
No. 42 22 S-L-LR PAT. PEND.

( Perhaps sans punctuation.... I'm a stickler for such.... )

It has the vertical-sliding aperture rear sight affixed to the left-rear of the receiver ( for which the stock is inletted ) ; it also has the slot atop the barrel for a 'standard' rear sight, which isn't there ( I'm supposing these were 'either/or' ? ). The forend of the stock is much thicker, then becomes fairly slim rearward ( as seems to be the standard configuration with these ).

How's that ? (^_^)

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Sir. I'm sorry to admit that I wasn't all that taken by it when I first saw it ( which I think hurt the former owner's feelings ), but I've really warmed up to it since. I think it was that this one is somewhat 'petite' and light, whereas the 144LS and the 46M are stout. No matter. It's a Mossie and I love it!

Wow, CHRISTmas Eve already........ a merry one to you, Soldaboat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.