Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just joined Gunboards recently, and mostly for my addiction to old military bolt rifles, I was quite gratified to find this forum. I'm certainly not well-versed in this genre, but what a place to gain knowledge !! I currently have three "Mossies" and just love them.... what cool rifles ( and, with the price of ammo these days, a great time to enjoy ".22 Love" !! ). List : one 46M, one 144LS and one 42 (no prefix nor suffix letters).

By the way--- the magazine on the Model 42 doesn't seem to want to stay in....... any suggestions ? Thanks.

A most wonderful CHRISTmas to all, and may 2009 prove to be your finest New Year ever with only better to follow. (^_^)

·
Registered
226 Posts
By the way--- the magazine on the Model 42 doesn't seem to want to stay in....... any suggestions ?
.... Could be the magazine is not seating properly, may need to bend the angle bar is seats on just a touch... or could be you have the wrong magazine for the 42... it takes the one with the latch built in on the magazine...

http://www.havlinsales.com/gallery2.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it's the correct ( probably original ) magazine, so I'll carefully inspect and 'tweak' it as necessary ( emphasis on CAREFULLY !! ).

Thanks for the reply and the link.

As the M42 has only the numbered model designation, would that probably make it an early-run/original Model 42 ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
As the M42 has only the numbered model designation, would that probably make it an early-run/original Model 42 ?
Need to take a closer look... Does it say M42 or 42M or M42x (x = some other letter)....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I just had it in my hot little paws and here's what it says :

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
New Haven, Conn. USA
No. 42 22 S-L-LR PAT. PEND.

( Perhaps sans punctuation.... I'm a stickler for such.... )

It has the vertical-sliding aperture rear sight affixed to the left-rear of the receiver ( for which the stock is inletted ) ; it also has the slot atop the barrel for a 'standard' rear sight, which isn't there ( I'm supposing these were 'either/or' ? ). The forend of the stock is much thicker, then becomes fairly slim rearward ( as seems to be the standard configuration with these ).

How's that ? (^_^)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good... Now that we got the "M" out of the way.... Which I now see wasn't there in your original post... The model 42 (no letter) was made in 1935 and 1936

They show up every now and the and usually go for between $75 and $125 depending on shape and sights..

Sounds like yours still has the #3 peep which will sometimes will bring close to $75... If you find someone that really needs/wants one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Sir. I'm sorry to admit that I wasn't all that taken by it when I first saw it ( which I think hurt the former owner's feelings ), but I've really warmed up to it since. I think it was that this one is somewhat 'petite' and light, whereas the 144LS and the 46M are stout. No matter. It's a Mossie and I love it!

Wow, CHRISTmas Eve already........ a merry one to you, Soldaboat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.