Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been a lot of years since I was down and the wife has never been there.so we took the day off and drove down. nice drive for only about an hour and a half.lot more stuff then I remember weather was great and best of all I got to meet and talk to Dr. Jack Atwater.the guy you see on the history channel and the military channel real nice guy.well here are the pic's. though about hooking the truck up to the 88 figured they have some much they wouldn't miss it but I didn't think I could afford the ammo for it.enjoy finnwolf

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Atwater is very entertaining on the shows on which he appears. I think he really knows his stuff compared to some of the other "experts" who show up on the same channels. The other guy I really like is the Canadian Jew with the very curly hair (can't remember his name off the TOMH). He really makes an enthusiastic delivery, and I believe he knows his stuff too.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Canadian Jew? What kind of way is that to describe somebody. Thats like saying that Presbyterian Brit. :(

Tuco you were there but you had hair back then-

·
Registered
957 Posts
That is Mecca for all tank,artillery and firearm lovers!

I haven't been in 10 years too. Been there twice...I could spend days there by myself just looking at all the tanks alone. What about the Hunting Tiger with all the AP shell hits on it? That is a big hunk of steel!

Also fun to crouch behind the Czech 47mm anti-tank gun and peer through the gunshield.

The firearms collection is amazing! A must for all serious collectors! Gotta plan a trip too.

Tiledude

·
Registered
957 Posts
The un-named guy mentioned is a professor at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy in England I believe. He is an interesting comentator and does get all worked-up when describing a weapon/system.

Atwater is a nice guy - pretty sure I met him when I was at Aberdeen last.

Tiledude

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,334 Posts
Aberdeen

Cry'en shame all those tanks and pieces are out in the rain. They really need to be covered. What was that thread about the German Gov't protesting the display (in the weather) of WWII German tanks, and wanting them back??? I about fell out of my chair.
I'd say, come and 'get em!!! :mad:
But, they do need to be protected from the elements. Thanks for posting. I love tanks!!! :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Glad to see this post. I'd heard that they were planning on moving the museum to Texas a couple of years back, and was wondering if they'd done so yet. Been to APG a dozen or so times, and it's truly one of the best arms museums in existance. As a child, I used to go there and climb around on the tanks and artillery pieces... probably one of the reasons I'm a C&R fanatic... BeSwift

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought I had heard somewhere that Aberdeen was trying to get the funds for a new facility at one point. The Tiger I was loaned to Germany (back in the 90's I think), and I believe they did some major restoration work on it. I could understand not sending it back if Aberdeen did not have a facility for it.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wa stationed at APG for 3 months for MOS school back in '97. Nice museum and we had a decent display of various weapons in the building I had classes in.

It was also the only time I held a current issue (1997) M1917 bayonet....that was made during WWI. I had expected to see on of the Vietnam-era pieces, but I knew what it was when I saw the grips! FWIW, it was a Remington 1917 dated example.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I cant wait to bring my son to APG. My father was stationed at APG from 1951 to 1953 and was assisting all those biggies of the day (Tom Nelson, etc) test all the various captured equipment from Korea and WW2.

Great fun. I also got to go see them do an exhibition of the new Abrams (back then) against the M60.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts