·
Silver Bullet member
5,568 Posts
USMCsean

but what would be an equivilent

available in usa ?

thanks

FIVESHOT

Fiveshot - Any good quality yellow grease - NOT the black stuff with MS in it - will be fine. I've been using Shakespeare spinner reel grease on my Swiss rifles since the late 1970's, but anything of a similar quality will be just as good.

Do NOT use oil - the mechanism is designed to be greased, not oiled, and I bleeve that after almost 120 years they knew what they were talking about.

tac

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Fiveshot - Any good quality yellow grease - NOT the black stuff with MS in it - will be fine. I've been using Shakespeare spinner reel grease on my Swiss rifles since the late 1970's, but anything of a similar quality will be just as good.

Do NOT use oil - the mechanism is designed to be greased, not oiled, and I bleeve that after almost 120 years they knew what they were talking about.

tac
Whats wrong wight the black stuff? I mean I been using it.. Is it harming my K31 somehow?

·
Silver Bullet member
5,568 Posts
Whats wrong wight the black stuff? I mean I been using it.. Is it harming my K31 somehow?
'Black stuff' = Automatenfett. As used for automatic or semi-automatic firearms in Swiss service since 1957. Nothing wrong with it at all, expect that it is black and messy.

Remember that the drill for the use of the original yellowish Waffenfett involved pulling throught the barrel, dismantling and greasing up the bolt, and then, wiping over the entire external parts of the arm, including all the woodwork, with the greasy patch.

I submit that if you are doing that with Automatenfett then you are ending up with a black face.

Your call, bro.

Not sure how grease could harm a gun, me.

tac

·
Silver Bullet member
5,568 Posts
Dear All - folks seem to be getting really fired up over this perennial 'problem' that does not actually exist.

ANY good quality yellowish grease that looks and feels like the original Waffenfett stuff is good for the Schmidt-Rubin and K31 arms.

If you prefer to use a BLACK grease - Automattenfett, for instance - and you don't mind getting a black face from wiping the greasy rag over the wooden stock of your Schmidt-Rubin or K31 on completion of greasing the metal parts, well, that is up to you, but personally I don't, nor does anybody else I know.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

·
Silver Bullet member
837 Posts
Would not Lubriplate like used in the M1 Rifle work well?

Presently, I use Militec grease but if that is wrong: please someone tell me.
Militec well work just fine. Find a product you like and use it. Specs for battle rifles are for battle conditions, not a rifle transported to the range in a case. The main point with the K-31 is the bolt operates better with grease than with oil.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hawkster did a translation of the Automatenfett properties that I translated a bit further....;

Original Text then an English (web) Translation. (Just playing around some...)

VERTEIDIGUNG LOGISTIKBASIS DER ARMEE
DEFENSE BASE LOGISTIQUE DE L'ARMEE
DIFESA BASE LOGISTICA DELL'ESERCITO
DEFENSIUN BASA LOGISTICA DA L'ARMADA

AUTOMATENFETT
Technisches Merkblatt Materialnummer: 2119.3328
ALN: 335-4809
Fett zur Schmierung automatischer Waffen

Eigenschaften und Einsatz

Das Automatenfett ist ein spezielles Fett zur Unterhalts- und Gefechts-Schmierung aller automatischen Waffen
auch bei tiefen Temperaturen.
Der Zusatz von MoS2 garantiert gute Schmiereigenschaften insbesondere für die extrem belasteten
Verschlüsse aller automatischen Waffen. Spezielle Zustze sichern ein hohes Korrosionsschutzvermögen und
eine hohe Wasserbeständigkeit zum Schutz der Waffen gegen Korrosion.

Erfüllte Anforderungen

Spezialfett gemass Anforderung der Armee

Physikalische Daten

Eigenschaft Bedingungen: Grenzwert: Einheit: Prüfmethode:
NLGI Klasse 1 - 2 -
Art der Seife Lithium -
Farbe Visuell grau -Visuell
Kin. Viskositt Grundlviskositt bei 40C min. 13 mm/s ISO 3104Tropfpunkt min. 170 C ISO 2176Penetration 25C 275 bis 325 0.1 mm ISO 2137Hochdruckeigenschaften
VKA
Load Wear Index min. 300 N ASTM 2596MoS2-Gehalt berechnet aus Mo-Gehalt min. 2.75 g/100 g DIN 51831/1

Giftklasse: frei
BAG T Nr.: 87151 Ersetzt Merkblatt vom: 01.11.03 Version: 02
Abfallcode: 1730 Gedruckt am: 08.01.04 Gültig ab: 15.10.03
Seite 1/1

DEFENSE LOGISTICS BASIS OF THE ARMY
DEFENSE COUSIN LOGISTIQUE DE L'ARMEE
DIFESA COUSIN LOGISTICA DELL'ESERCITO
DEFENSIUN BASA LOGISTICA THERE L'ARMADA

AUTOMATICS GREASE
Technical instruction card materials number: 2119.3328
ALN: 335-4809
Fat to the lubricating of automatic weapons

Characteristics and employment

The automatic grease is a special grease for the maintenance and engagements lubrication of all automatic weapons
also at low temperatures.
The additive of MoS2 guarantees good lubrication characteristics in particular for bolts under extreme
conditions of all automatic weapons. Special additives secure a high corrosion protection ability and
a high water resistance for the protection of the weapons against corrosion.

Fulfilled requirements

Special grease in accordance with requirement of the army

Physical data

Characteristic conditions: Limit value: Unit: Testing method:
NLGI class 1 - 2 -
Kind of the soap lithium -
Color visual grey - visual
Kin. Viscosity basic oil viscosity with 40C min. 13 mm /s ISO 3104Melting temp. min. 170 C ISO 2176Penetration 25C 275 to 325,0,1 mm ISO 2137High pressure properties
VKA
Load Wear index min. 300 N ASTM 2596MoS2- part 2,75 g/100 g DIN 51831/1 from Mo-content min.

Poison class: freely
BAG T No.: Replaces 87151 instruction card of: 01.11.03 version: 02
Waste code: 1730 printed to: 08.01.04 valid off: 15.10.03
Page 1/1

This is no simple Moly grease as it also contains ingredients for cleaning the bore and chamber.

Guisan.:)

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
Guisan, maybe a better question to ask is this: "What product available in the USA meets the specifications of the orig. Swiss product" ?? If I knew that, I would just buy it and head over the ridgeline into the sunset.

I am willing to buy and feed my K31 the right stuff. The way it shoots, I will order from Switzerland the orig. stuff if you tell me where to get it. This rifle can have everything and anything she needs.

·
Silver Bullet Member
11,855 Posts
Wal-Mart Boat trailer and marine equipment grease.

If It's good enough for the Marines equipment, it is good enough for me! :)

·
Silver Bullet member
385 Posts
Whats funny about this thread is every grease above, is the same grease"lithium".lithium is a water repellent
grease & is why it is used.Lubriplate is just a brand name for the same.Guess what, the black grease is lithium
with moly added.

Fly

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
It was sold over on the Swiss Rifle Forum dot com message board at $20 per tub. Once it sold out, it was sold out for good.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts