Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,479 Posts
Hello toot,

Per the link, i.e. there being different ways to achieve the same results, I use the following.

Rather than using Beeswax I use a 50/50 mix of parrafin and Crisco. Melt the two together and line a cookie sheet with tin foil and pour the liquid blend into the cookie sheet. The reason I use a cookie sheet is based on the depth being slightly different in different areas of the pan. When it cools, remove the "grease filled" foil.

Take and old cartridge case and cut the base off. Now you can use the mouth of the cut case like a cookie cutter. You can cut samples from different areas of the pan and measure the thickness. This will allow you to experiment with different thicknesses as you work up loads.

In a lot of my loads I use the cut cartridge case to cut out cork wads. Check online and you can find cork sheets manufactured to different thicknesses. I use the "cookie cutter" case to cut circular wads. When I load the cartridge, I place a cork wad in first with the grease cookie on top of the cork with the lubed bullet on top of the grease cookie.

I've used this technique with to good effect with both black-powder and smokeless powder loads in my black-powder cartridge rifles. This is a light smokeless powder load using the black-powder to smokeless powder ratio published in Donnelly's book, "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions."

These are light smokeless loads for the Italian M1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali. The bullets are hard cast 300 grain .430 diameter bullets designed for heavy bullet .44 Mag loads. The brass is fire-formed and trimmed .348 Win cases. I reload this cartridge by neck sizing with a set of .44 Mag dies with the carbide sizing die.

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Brass Metal
Ammunition Bullet Brass Metal Gun accessory
Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Individual sports Clock
Shooting sport Circle Shooting

I highly recommend Donnelly's book. Hope this helps!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jps, wow! there is a whole world out there on cookies and i can see that there is a difference when used and some times it is necessary to use them as in the .577/ 450, MH. i like the info you forwarded to me bout cutting the base off of a cartridge for a cutter. also thanks about using cork, i have never heard about using it, boy do i have a lot to learn. i have been using cotton in my 577 SNIDER but will now use cookies in it. i didn't know what they men't when they said to use them. i have found the hand loaders book and ordered it, boy that sure took a chunk out of my SOCIAL SECURITY payment !! it ain't cheep. again thank you for all of the help. best, toot.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,479 Posts
Hello toot,

Just use your preferred search engine and type in 1/4" or 3/8" or 1/2" cork sheeting and you will find multiple sources. I keep all three on hand as needed, or you can just buy 1/4" and use multiple 1/4" cork wads in a particular load. There are some companies that sell packs of squares with multiple thicknesses in the same pack. You can buy rolls or typically 12" squares.

Hope this helps!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jps, yes that sure does help. will do as you posted. things seem so easy when some one helps with quires that you have. this a great site with people helping one an another and not feeling dumb for asking a question that to another person is academic. i have ordered all 3 sizes of cork sheeting that you pointed. and have ordered hole/ gasket punches from HARBOR FREIGHT, in the sizes that i need. again thanks on this end. best regards, later, toot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.