Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Back from Paris. Went to the Invalides and saw 2 Gras with repeating magazine, I assume prototypes. On the first sample, the mag is a box-like appendage that sits on the right-hand side of the receiver. Think it was a gravity feed system. The second was also a repeater with a different type of feeding which was difficult to figure out. The label indicated that these were converted in 1874. Both samples were absolutely mint. I have 2 photos of dubious quality and will post them as soon as I figure out how.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Gras Repeaters

Stone Master: I have seen Modell 1871 Mausers that had similar devices attached, one had a horse shoe shaped mag that the operation of which was obscure, to say the least!! I imagine that the other countries did the same with their guns in that era....

Dale

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Stone Master,

Many attempt were made in the late 1870's early 1880's to transform the Gras rifle into repeaters.

The gravity feed system you describe must be the Gras-Vernet (1883) with a 12 shots capacity. The Chatellerault manufacture was in charge of developping prototype repeaters based on the Gras, various feeding systems were tested including a pump action rifle. Foreign design were also sought, among them a Gras-Lee (6shots), a Gras-Veterlli, a Gras-Spitalsky.

kelt

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Repeaters

The Dutch army museum also has many prototypes of magazine systems for their Beaumont rifle, before settling on the Vitali box mag. Same goes for the Martini-Henry. Most of Europe was at it during that time.

·
Silver Bullet member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gras magazine

Hi Bill:

No they looked nothing like that. What I saw was a box-like affair that sat to the right and above the bolt. It looks like it somehow drop-fed a new round into the feed ramp after the expanded round was extracted. I will try to post a picture (such as it is, I took it with my cell phone through the glass and could not really get a good shooting angle). What would be a good free photo album site to use for uploading?
The second example was a curved affair that seemed to wrap around the right side of the receiver. I am mechanically enclined but I have no clue as to its principle. It might be the "horseshoe" system that was referred to above by Dale. It is in the same picture below the one I described first but, again, the shooting angle makes it difficult to discern.

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts