Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Dammit! Why couldn't I get any of the 1st class travel when I worked for the Gooberment. They still measured mileage for reimbursement pre interstate - right through the center of cities, and usually the per diem was too low for anything but a fleabag motel. With the nightly fights in the adjacent bars for entertainment. Our damned travel office insisted on sticking us on the cheapest flights regardless of the time and inconvenience.

I had to fly to Wichita regularly on a target drone program at Beech. The travel office insisted on routing me through Kansas City, on a turboprop commuter flight, even though the schedule was terrible - they saved $15 that way. The final straw was one January - bitter cold and there was a major snowstorm in KC. Flight was delayed for hours, finally we were allowed out on the field for boarding at 11PM. What I thought was one of the ground crew, looked like a teenage girl, was sweeping snow off the wing with a broom, then used the broomstick to knock the ice out of the slats. Then she helped load the luggage.

Then she got in the copilot seat.

The plane took off and over the end of the field hit a complete whiteout. We flew through the snow until we came out over Wichita, the woman next to me was praying, fingering her rosary the whole time.

After that I absolutely refused to go there again unless I got a decent size turbojet flight the whole way.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
61,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jsut think what you would have thought if the girl had got into the pilot's seat.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
I flew government air for over twenty years and never flew first class. Don't mistake the military with some fat cat congressman or senator.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,415 Posts
Amen, Amtraker. I went to Fort Benning earlier this year courtesy of USAMU and it was coach for all but the last 75 miles. That short connecting flight was in some turboprop puddle jumper where the difference between first class and coach didn't exist--I swear the cabin looked like the inside of a schoolbus, with added overhead grab rails. One step up from a C123.:D

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I flew government air for over twenty years and never flew first class. Don't mistake the military with some fat cat congressman or senator.
Naaaw. The fat-cats take their own PLANE at taxpayer expense.

DD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts