Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These first two cards are from Gottfried Breuer, he is still in Cöln (Köln) The second card has a photo of him in a Dunkelblau Waffenrock with the shoulder straps of the 59th FAR. These two cards were sent at the time FAR 233 was being made up for the new Jnf Div 117

Feldpost Cöln 19.3.15 Riehl
Herrn
Joseph Kuhl
Brenig
Post Bornheim b. Bonn

The text that has been written over is Gottfried's I had trouble with this card, because the script did not match the other cards written by Gottfried, and I was not happy with him for writing over his note, until I realized that it was done by a friend who was too cheap to send his own card.

Die herztlichen Glückwünsche
zu deinem morgigen Namens-
tage. sendet dir dein Freund
Gottfried. Bin jetzt seit
einige Tagen im Ställe. Da
gibt es allerhand Arbeit (zu tun?).
Reiten geht aber doch lustig zu.

Horizontal text written by Jos Kamps
Die herzlihten
Gluckwunsche Dein
alter Freund
Jos Kamps
Lieg bei Gottfried
Auf einer Bude
Geht alles sehr gut

Feldpost Cöln 4.4.15 Riehl
An Herrn
Joseph Kuhl
Brenig
Post Bornheim b. Bonn

Vergnügte Ostertage wunscht
dir und der ganzen Familie
Dein Freund Gottfried. Lieder
konnte ich diese Tage nicht in
Urlaub kommen. Hoffendlich
komm ich näste Jahr noch
einege Tage heraus

Here is another couple of cards from the Familie Breuer, witch was to be joined to the Familie Kuhl. These two are also from Gottfried Breuer, who was in Feldart. Regt. 233, part of Division 117, at the time these cards were written, his unit occupied the Messines Front.

Abs. Farher Breuer
II Licht Mu Kol
Feld Artl Regt 233
117 Jnf Division

XX.12.15

Herrn
Joseph Kuhl
Brenig
b. Bornheim Kr. Bonn

Frankreich den 24.12.1915
Lieber Freund!
Die herzlichsten Glück und Segens-
wunsch zum neuen Jahre sendet dir
und der deinen dein Freund Gottfr.
Das neue Jahr wird und wohl bald
den ?erscheten bringen?. Mit Grüß dein Freund Gottfried

Abs Farher Breuer

Frankreich den 27. II 1916

Lieber Fr(eund) Joseph
Habe dein schöne Karte
mit dank erhalten. Mir
gehts noch recht gut, was ich auch
von dir u(nd)den deinen auch
hoffe. Wirst wohl mit ???
tuchtig auf die Jagd gegangen
sein. Hier ist noch alles beim
alten. alles sehr ruhig. Viele
Grüße sendet dir u(nd) Familie
Dien Freund Gottfried Bis auf Wiedersehen

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
I'll chime in on the words/texts that are not so clear Gus and Bayonetcollector. Some patience please, the chief coming home today from the sun ... I have to give the house a "clean appearance":p.
BTW, my private email doesn't function at this moment, have to figure that out with the company. I'll delete this afterwards.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Big Commander, make sure the house in order before the Chief gets home, and then give her my greetings:)
The first card in this group was one of the worst ones I have encountered, having text over text is not a good thig for easy reading, and the fact that there are two different writers did not help in the sorting of the cards.
Bes twihses
Gus

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
I didn't forget these cards but am trying to decipher the very faint characters on the first card now (it must have been a cheap crayon:D).
House was in order, chief also ... !
OK, transcription tomorrow ... the efforts of Gus saved me some time

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Transcriptions of the four cards:

1 a : Faint text
Die herzlichsten Glückwünsche zu deinem morgigen (tomorrow) Namenstage sendet dir dein Freund Gottfried. Bin jetzt seit einige Tage im Ställe da gibt es allerhand Arbeit (zu tun?). Reiten geht aber doch lustig zu.

1 b : Readable text
Die herzlichsten Glückwünsche dein alter Freund Jos Kamps.
Lieg bei Gottfried auf einer Bude.
Geht alles sehr gut.

2 :
Vergnügte Ostertage wünscht dir und der ganzen Familie dein Freund Gottfried. Leider konnte ich diese Tage nicht in Urlaub kommen. Hoffentlich komme ich nächste Woche mal einige Tage heraus.

3 :
Frankreich den 24.12.1915
Lieber Freund!
Die herzlichsten Glück und Segneswünsche zum neuen Jahre sendet dir und den deinen dein Freund Gottfr(ied).
Das neue Jahr wird uns wohl bald den ersehnten (what is longed for)bringen.
Mit Gruss dein Freund Gottfried.

4 :
Frankreich den 27.2.1916
Lieber Fr(eund) Joseph!
Habe deine schöne Karte mit dank erhalten. Mir gehts noch recht gut, was ich auch von dir u(nd) den deinen auch hoffe. (Du) Wirst wohl mit ??(a name? ) tüchtig auf die Jagd gegangen sein. Hier ist noch alles beim alten, alles sehr ruhig. Viele Grüsse sendet dir u(nd) Familie dein Freund Gottfried. Bis auf Wiedersehen.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Big Commander,
I missed your additions to this thread until today, as I was compiling the cards to send to the woman who gave them to me, I am trying to get a good idea as to how all these boys were related (brothers, cousins and neighbors). I think you could read a message on a blank sheet of paper:) Your help has been very valuable to me.
Best wihses
Gus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts