Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,245 Posts
hello

In a previous post I had told that a civilian MAS 36 in 10.75 X 68 was one of my "dream weapons".
You lucky guy §

BTW where are you living ? In the USA or in Europe ?
When I was deployed in Ivory Coast (2006) I met a french citizen living in the Northern part of the country. He had two such rifles. Yet it was impossible for him to cross the "border" between the North and South (a kind of civil war was taking place at that time) with a weapon. And if ever I had been able to buy one (or the two of them) , customs paperwork would have been a nightmare. Corruption in the country and french paperwork "red tape"

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can feel your pain

dont collect french but my first rifle was a lebel rifle when I was 14 years old(still have it). decide I need such a mas for my bunch of medium bore sporting rifles and common sense told me the highest chance to find one was in the motherland. so I supervised french dealer and naturabuy http://www.naturabuy.fr/Armes-chasse-cat-124.html for a while and checking them weekly.
when the rifle pop up I contact the seller immediately and hold the connection, fortunately he was speaking english. I am next to france inside the EU so this export-import thing is manageable.
10,75x68 rifles dont sell well now because RWS dropped this round in 1990. I have watched this on naturabuy also with the very fine Rival mauser rifle's that must be a dream for a french big game hunter.
success on a hunt is only 50% luck, the rest is knowledge and preparatory work!
I am still collect informations about this rifle. do you have made pics in Ivory coast? did the man still had ammunition?

this is Tony Sanchez Arino 1947(iirc) in Guinea

·
Gold Bullet member
1,245 Posts
Hello

No I didn't take any picture of the rifles.
At that time I was deployed in Abidjan (capital city near the sea) and the guy was just passing by at the French camp.

Obviously I don't check Naturabuy often enough , I missed that one ...:(
Special trigger guards are rare, I may have an incomplete one from a 7 X 54 mas kit.
I had 2 FR F1 trigger guards but I think I sold all I had.
Will keep my eyes open.

moblotaire

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you believe in coincidense the 8x60S Mas 36 No .682 was coming back in an auction and I was able to get into my hands. its a so called "Deko" wallhanger that was drilled and welded in 2009 for whatever reasons. good for me because I will butcher it to get another orignal stock and the missing safety lever for my old 10,75x68. still waiting for the french export licence

the missing part

the cut down bolt with a 8x60 stamp

drilled and welded

No 682 made in 1947

8x60 Magnum on the barrel allmost vanished under the thick black coating

the action is surprisingly small and you dont believe that the 10,75x68 will fit into but it does very well

side by side with a M 98 in 10,75x57 you maybe get an imagination how handy the rifle is because its so small in thickness

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.